TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Imron 6000 B/C

Default Imron 6000 B/C

I am painting a motor home and looking for a paint system. I have been looking at auto finishes such as PPG DBU and Dupont ChromaPremier base/clear. I originally considered PPG CLV but it is available only in solid colors. I want to use a pearl. I recently found Imron 6000. It is a true polyurethane base/clear and according to its data sheet is available in pearls.
    Imron has the reputation of being a very durable paint system. It is supposed to be very mar and chip resistant. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this system. I will be using a forced air breathing system so the isocyanates shouldn't be a problem. Some of the questions I have are:

1. Cost and available colors?

2. Application properties and issues?

3. Ability to be color sanded and buffed. I know this will depend on the clear chosen. Any advice on clears?

Thanks

We normally use POLYurethanes for trucks, airplanes and other things that don't need the deep gloss of an acrylic urethane job but does need to be durable. I haven't used Imron for a few years and it may have changed but most of the deep gloss finishes you'll see will be acrylic urethane not polyurethane.