TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Body Filler for Vette?

Default Body Filler for Vette?

Hello,

Hopefully this weekend I will be doing some fiberglass repair work on my 69 Corvette. I plan to use Evercoat "Kitty Hair" to repair a crack.

I am not certain what type of surface body filler to use. Will the Rage (Rage Extreme, Gold) fillers work with this type of fiberglass (non SMC)?

BTW, I also plan to use Slick Sand - and want to be sure everything is compatible.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by 1969vette
    Hello,

Hopefully this weekend I will be doing some fiberglass repair work on my 69 Corvette. I plan to use Evercoat "Kitty Hair" to repair a crack.

I am not certain what type of surface body filler to use. Will the Rage (Rage Extreme, Gold) fillers work with this type of fiberglass (non SMC)?

BTW, I also plan to use Slick Sand - and want to be sure everything is compatible.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Ralph
    I would reinforce the crack with more than a filling of kitty hair or it may open again.Kitty hair is a stronger filler but It wont bond and stabilize the crack to ensure it stays closed.I would also use some matt and resin on the back of the panel overlapping the crack if its accessible.Mike

My friend had a crack in the hood of his corvette and we used marglass which works really good. You mix it the same as bodyfiller with a hardner.

I would probably do what Mike said and stabilize the crack by applying fiberglass mat or cloth to the back side of the panel then V the crack in the front and apply the Kitty Hair. After the KH hardens grind it to remove the skin then apply your body filler to level the surface. The Evercoat fillers would work fine and so will the Slick Sand.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I did plan on using mat fiberglass first and then covering with the kitty hair. I cut an access opening from the underside to do this. I was just hoping that the material is ok for Vettes.

Ralph

Don't forget that the mat is used with liquid fiberglass resin then the gloss is removed with a grinder and then the paste products can be used. Don't use the paste to secure the mat because it won't penetrate as well and won't hold things together as well as the liquid.

Len et. al.

Thanks for the advice. I secured the crack from underneath with fiberglass mat, let it cure and then spread a layer of kitty hair. I ended up applying a few layers of kitty hair... it worked well...

A couple of years ago I used "Bondo-Glass" short strand fiberglass filler (to repair a decorative wooden column of all things!)... I would swear the Evercoat "Kitty Hair" is identical... Is there a difference?

Last edited by 1969vette; 08-31-2008 at 06:40 AM.

The biggest difference in these fiberglass paste products it the length of the fiberglass strands mixed in the paste. You can get long, short and milled. I use the milled for sealing seams where filler strength is not an issue. I use the short strand when I need a little strength like filling over a hole that has been covered with foil tape. I use the long strand when I need maximum strength.