TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: ? About Acrylic Enamel Paint

Default ? About Acrylic Enamel Paint

I painted a car frame over the weekend with Acrylic Enamel and ended up with a couple runs...can I wet sand them out and buff the shine back or will it need to be resprayed after sanding?

Quote Originally Posted by 1hotrod
    I painted a car frame over the weekend with Acrylic Enamel and ended up with a couple runs...can I wet sand them out and buff the shine back or will it need to be resprayed after sanding?
    The answer to your question is it depends on whether you added a hardener to the acrylic enamel. If you did add a hardener then wait several days then wetsand and buff. You should be good to go as long as you don't cut through the paint down to the primer.

I painted my '47 Chrysler about 1.5 weeks ago with acrylic enamel and hardener. I waited a week to fix the runs with a Nib file, 600 grit wet/dry, 1200 grit wet/dry and then polish. After doing this I can see the spot(s). I didn't polish with a polisher just rubbed by hand. The result I got is not acceptable. My understanding after reading (a little more carefully) my "How to paint your car" book is that the acrylic enamel dries with a film and once this film is disturbed you can't polish it. I'd like to fix the runs and make it unoticable without "spot" painting the areas and if I can "polish" out these areas that would be great.

Default My runs bigger than yours

After reading so much valuable info from this forum, I stepped up to the plate, and shot paint at intended target. I have managed to produce every mistake possible for my first spray job. I cant blame the substrate because I did it my self and it was 9.99/10.
    Will post pic as soon as it stops sagging. In the mean time, Thank You Gents
    Now let's see who can fix the worst of the worst!

Mitch

Default Every mistake but fish-eyes

The only mistake I didn't make was in the prep...
    No Fishes.
    Did I tell you about
    "WHY YOU CLEAN YOUR GUN AFTER EVERY SPAY"
    :mad:

My Good Friends said " Attempt to sand & buff, If it won't come out......
    You've prepped for a re-spay...

Quote Originally Posted by gbkjr
    I painted my '47 Chrysler about 1.5 weeks ago with acrylic enamel and hardener. I waited a week to fix the runs with a Nib file, 600 grit wet/dry, 1200 grit wet/dry and then polish. After doing this I can see the spot(s). I didn't polish with a polisher just rubbed by hand. The result I got is not acceptable. My understanding after reading (a little more carefully) my "How to paint your car" book is that the acrylic enamel dries with a film and once this film is disturbed you can't polish it. I'd like to fix the runs and make it unoticable without "spot" painting the areas and if I can "polish" out these areas that would be great.

You should be able to sand out the runs and polish just like urethane since you used a hardner. There is no mysterious film. Litererally thousands of cars have been painted with AE and cut and buffed. I can remember how bad the first car I painted in the early 80's looked and how amazing it looked after sanding and buffing the Centauri AE. Of course I'm assuming you have a solid color, if it's metallic you'll see the run.

Larry

Larry - Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is a solid color (St Clair Blue). I've been reading info on "buffing" technique and it looks like I need to get a good buffer, good polishing/compounding material and some pads.