TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Repairing Vinyl/Plastic Dashboard

Default Repairing Vinyl/Plastic Dashboard

I have a '73 Mercedes 450SL that I am redoing the interior and paint on. The dashboard is badly cracked on the top, and for that they make an aftermarket overlay that looks pretty good, not the best, but OK. The padded vinyl on the lower portions of the dash have 4 or 5 minor cracks that didn't show when the dash was dark blue, but now that I have changed it to camel/palomino, they show. Is there any product meant to fix these? There are no split areas that are open, just tight cracks if you know what I mean. I suppose I could go to an entirely black dash, the overlay is black for the top, and the cracks would show less, but before I do, I want to know if there's a product out there that can help. A complete new dash is out of the question for now as they are about $1600 plus shipping from Germany.

CraigS:

Repairing a dash is pretty straight forward, the hard part is matching the texture. The posted link below is how i went about repairing my dash. I just treated the repair like a plastic car bumper. I knew the dash was to far gone to match the texture, so i got it close. Might not work in your situation, but it could be an "idea starter

Barry

http://www.78ta.com/smf/index.php?topic=6389.0

Thanks, Barry! What flexible filler did you use? I'm afraid I'll have to open up the cracks a little that I have in order to give enough tooth for the filler to hold, but seeing your results, I'm up for it now.

CraigS:

I used Evercoat poly flex on some of the smaller breaks...a combination of plastic adhesives/body filler on some of the bigger holes. Like you, some of the breaks or cracks were small, so they had to be vee'd out to be filled. Understand, when i did this i had nothing to lose because the dash was so bad. My backup plan was to install a dash cap which ofcourse would have covered the entire dash.
    You might not have that option.
    So far its held up well, its not OEM...but its better than a dash cap. Good luck

Barry

Repairing a dash is pretty straight forward, the hard part is matching the texture. The posted link below is how i went about repairing my dash. I just treated the repair like a plastic car bumper. I knew the dash was to far gone to match the texture, so i got it close. Might not work in your situation, but it could be an "idea starter

Barry

http://www.78ta.com/smf/index.php?topic=6389.0
    Barry,that looks great.I just put a cover over my dads 86 chevy and its now buckling from the heat after just 2 months.