TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: devilbiss type JGA-502

Default devilbiss type JGA-502

Hello,

I have a Devilbiss Type JGA-502 suction feed paint gun that was given to me by a former employer. the gun is in working condition, but are parts still available?
    does anyone know about how old this gun is, or have any other interesting tidbits of info about it?

thanks

Ben

That was my gun of choice for the first 15 or 20 years I was in the collision repair business. I think I had about 6 or 7 of them all together but I only have two left because I sold the rest of them at yard sales. I was using the ones I have left to spray guide coat but now I use an aerosol guide coat because it's quicker and easier.

The old JGA502 was great in it's day but I wouldn't use it for anything but primer or guide coat these days. I believe you can still buy parts for them but you'd probably be better off with a better gun for spraying topcoats. The technology has come a long way since the 502 days. I think they have a transfer efficiency of about 35% and the high pressure at the cap makes them more difficult to control than newer models.

The JGA-502 in my opinion is the best all around spray gun ever made. It is still an excellent gun for spraying synthetic enamel, acrylic enamel, lacquer and even basecoats (for base/clear painting). It does a relatively poor job of atomizing the newer acrylic urethane topcoat paints in single stage color and clearcoats. You can get a #9000 air cap for the old JGA's which that air cap was designed to handle the urethane topcoats. I have that setup and still use it relatively often for spot jobs etc. For full paints or large areas I use an HVLP gun with the clearcoats (iwata LPH400 LV, great gun). If you are serious about painting as a hobby etc then you need a gun that is designed specifically for spraying the newer urethane topcoat paints. I still like my old JGA but I have around 30 experience with that model of spray gun so I can pretty much make it do what it want out of it. An inexperienced painter doesn't have that experience knowledge database to work from, so their results in most cases would be less postive than the results I get of my old JGA. A #9000 air cap for your old JGA is going to cost you around $70. There are several lesser expensive spray guns ( in the $100 - $150 range) that are HVLP and are actually pretty decent guns. Not as good as the top of the line $500 spray guns but they get the job done. What all this boils down to is you're better off getting a gun designed to handle the urethane topcoats instead of trying to upgrade the old JGA then still have to learn to spray with that particular gun.

yes parts are still available, check ebay and devilbisss dealers,might have to order. You can pull up parts lists from google to get parts numbers. I recently bought two new JGA's from a pawn/supply shop. I've tried some gravity feed guns and they just don't feel as comfortabe as the suction, and the JGA is one of the best. I have 5, one for primers and sealers, one for single stage AE, one for S/S urathane, one for base coat, and one for clears -each with the appropriate tip and cap. The gun I use for primer use to be my laquar gun til laquar became obsolete.

Default JGA is still alive

Do not worry about spare parts for the JGA spray gun. This is still a very common gun even at big multi-national companies....(maybe not necessarily in automotive). It is really an allrounder and here in Thailand it is commonly used even for ceramic and sanitaryware (glazing). Very, very abrasive stuff. Ask your DeVilbiss dealer around the corner. If you cannot get there, then make holiday in Thailand and get your parts here...

The Thai Spray Gun Museum

Default What is the best size needle and air-cap to use on the deVilbiss JGA A spay gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    The JGA-502 in my opinion is the best all around spray gun ever made. It is still an excellent gun for spraying synthetic enamel, acrylic enamel, lacquer and even basecoats (for base/clear painting). It does a relatively poor job of atomizing the newer acrylic urethane topcoat paints in single stage color and clearcoats. You can get a #9000 air cap for the old JGA's which that air cap was designed to handle the urethane topcoats. I have that setup and still use it relatively often for spot jobs etc. For full paints or large areas I use an HVLP gun with the clearcoats (iwata LPH400 LV, great gun). If you are serious about painting as a hobby etc then you need a gun that is designed specifically for spraying the newer urethane topcoat paints. I still like my old JGA but I have around 30 experience with that model of spray gun so I can pretty much make it do what it want out of it. An inexperienced painter doesn't have that experience knowledge database to work from, so their results in most cases would be less postive than the results I get of my old JGA. A #9000 air cap for your old JGA is going to cost you around $70. There are several lesser expensive spray guns ( in the $100 - $150 range) that are HVLP and are actually pretty decent guns. Not as good as the top of the line $500 spray guns but they get the job done. What all this boils down to is you're better off getting a gun designed to handle the urethane topcoats instead of trying to upgrade the old JGA then still have to learn to spray with that particular gun.

Dear Sir,
    Could you say the best size needle and air-cap to use on the Devilbiss JGA to spray basecoat and clearcoat? Please message me at faustsmith@hotmail.com

I see there is suction feed JGA and pressure feed JGA. Which one is best for clearcoat and basecoat? Please email me at faustsmith@hotmail.com
    Last edited by faustsmith; 01-03-2013 at 02:13 AM.

Default Several suction JGA model numbers

Which model number JGA suction feed spray gun is best for clearcoat and basecoat? There seem to be several JGA model numbers and what do these numbers mean? Please message me at faustsmith@hotmail.com

Default Several suction JGA model numbers

Which model number JGA suction feed spray gun is best for clearcoat and basecoat? There seem to be several JGA model numbers and what do these numbers mean? Please message me at faustsmith@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by faustsmith View Post
    DeVilbiss recommends the JGA-644 for Base coats, clear coats, low VOC, single stages and urethanes. As of this date it sells for $349.

Quote Originally Posted by the Benz View Post
    Hello,

does anyone know about how old this gun is, or have any other interesting tidbits of info about it?

Ben
    Rebuild kits are still available but...

Old enough to be banned in certain high polution districts. I was able to port a hole in the bottom
    of the handle where other guns have a fitting and added a SMC regulator for pressurizing the can.
    Works better than many expensive gravity guns. And the gun does not care if you are shooting
    primer or clear coat because of the adjustment range possible. I can also remove the regulator
    and the gun functions as before. I might attach a picture later.
    Last edited by rons; 01-10-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Default I Remember Those!

Yeah, the jga was a standard for years along witht he good ole binks #7. It is not as much the gun as it is the setup of the gun for achieving good results. The higher the viscousity then the bigger the tip size and the more air you need. You need to think of it as transfer effecinecy. over the years I have used every setup imaginable from pressure pots to Iwata, Sata, blah, blah, but have landed on pretty inexpensive guns that I can get whatever results I want with. On that JGA of yours, you are able to turn the fluid needle in to lower the amount of product being sprayed which will help a ton to atomize your basecoat but you would prolly need to turn it out and the air pressure up for clearcoat. The biggest downside to any siphon gun is the higher air pressure that is needed to sihpon the paint up to the head. With a gravity feed gun the only use for the air is to atomize and propell the paint so you don't need as much pressure which in turn gives you more control over your work. All in all, the JGA is a great all around gun if you don't mind spraying at 45+ pounds of air! My suggestion? Load it up and spray something!!!! lol