PDA

View Full Version : Hi, Guys Ready to paint, question about sealer

73sportsroof
03-20-2006, 07:54 PM
My brothers and I are restoring dad's 65 Mustang coupe, the bodywork is finished,the car has been stripped to bare metal, primed with U-Tech epoxy,then primed with Dupont high build and block sanded,any sand throughs have been re-covered with epoxy, all fillers used were 2K, My question is, we have different levels of primer showing,some high build and some epoxy, where we covered sand throughs, would it be a good idea to use a sealer to cover everything, the data sheet with the epoxy says it can be used as a sealer,what's the general opinion of everyone? Thanks for the help.

Len
03-20-2006, 10:45 PM
Different substrates have a tendency to absorb topcoats at a different rate. This different absorption can cause metallic colors to vary and different single stage colors to have different areas of gloss. I'd recommend sealer for this application.

Epoxy primer can be used as a sealer but it may not seal as well as a dedicated sealer however if you already have the epoxy I'd say it will probably work well enough to use.

73sportsroof
03-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the reply Len, I think thats what we'll do,were not taking any chances at this point.