PDA

View Full Version : Metal work, shrinking etc

jamie392
03-14-2006, 06:22 PM
I am currently trying to do some metal work and am having problems. I'm working on the surface of a truck panel and it is 'stretched' i think. It will pop in and out... I was trying to hammer and dolly it from its poped down position to flat but no matter how much I work on it I can't get it to go away. I tried working from the edges in and bunch up the metal in the middle but then I can't get rid of that little bit of metal without it poping back in... I don't know if Im making any sense here, but i'm pretty sure this is a common occurance... I believe the metal is stretched... how can I tackle this... I would really like to get it straight before I apply filler to it.

Thanks
Jamie

Len
03-14-2006, 08:02 PM
Jamie
What caused the metal damage. Was it creased by a bumper or was it just pushed in? Sometimes you can do more stretching with a hammer and dolly than was originally in the metal.

If it's not really stretched badly you may be able to push the metal toward the dent causing it to maintain it's shape better. If there is a peak above or below the damage you can try placing a board along the peak and tapping it toward the problem. This can also work along the edge of the panel if it's close to the damage.

If the panel is stretched too badly for this "board method" you can try shrinking the metal using one of several methods like....

1. Torch and shrinking hammer and dolly.
2. Shrinking disk.
3. Stud welder with a shrink tip.