PDA

View Full Version : Bullet hole repair

TheCoatingStore.com

scottd
03-07-2006, 10:32 PM
I bought a 1993 chevy s10. I later found out that there is a bullet hole going through the back of the cab on the passenger side. I didn't notice it before because there was a tool box covering it up. I was wondering what would be the best way to approach repairing this bullet hole. I have done a little body and paint work in the past but not much lately. Thanks for any help.

Scott

Len
03-07-2006, 10:58 PM
I bought a 1993 chevy s10. I later found out that there is a bullet hole going through the back of the cab on the passenger side. I didn't notice it before because there was a tool box covering it up. I was wondering what would be the best way to approach repairing this bullet hole. I have done a little body and paint work in the past but not much lately. Thanks for any help.

Scott

In our shop we would hammer and dolly the metal flat then weld the hole closed. If you can't get to the inside you could always do something like the pictures below but it's not as good as welding the hole closed.

http://www.autobodystore.com/foilhole.jpg

A better explaination of this filler method can be found HERE (http://www.autobodystore.com/FillerMatls.htm).

scottd
03-08-2006, 09:31 AM
That sounds like a plan.. I will have to get the tool box off and out of the way and take apart the inside to get to the back of it. I have a small mig welder so I'll probably try to weld it closed after I flatten it out with the hammer and dolly set I bought from you years ago. Thanks for the info. Glad to see the BB is going stronger than ever..

Scott

Phil V
03-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Scott, I've fixed quite a few bullet holes in vehicles over the last 35 years. At one point I used to do a lot of work for a Ford dealers used car lot (no old beaters and no rust work, all cars/trucks within 5 years old). The funny part is that most of all the vehicles I fixed bullet holes in I'll bet 90 % of those vehicles were pickup trucks. The bullet holes were almost always in the back of the cab or box sides with bullets being fired as the truck was moving away. We used to laugh cause we figured it was usually some guy messing around with someone else's wife and a jealous angry husband with no sense of humor. hehehehe.

scottd
03-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Ya, I was thinking something along those lines myself... Truth is I don't know what happened in that truck. I bought it from an elderly gentleman that had bought it from another elderly gentleman. I assume it was probably a hunting rifle sitting in the floorboard pointing to the back of the cab that went off. Strange they went to enough trouble to redo the upholstery and the carpeted panel under the back window but only put a piece of duct tape on the outside of the bullet hole. Oh well...

Phil V
03-10-2006, 12:27 AM
Scott, I've never repaired a bullet hole that caused by a gun being fired from inside the vehicle. It was always someone else shooting at mostly pick up trucks from the back ( at what appears to be a truck moving away from the shooter).