PDA

View Full Version : 65 Mustang 2+2 Quarter replacement

teg51
03-05-2006, 12:19 PM
I am replacing the right rear quarter on my 65 2+2. The replacement quarters that I have found are two piece, the main panel and the top that goes around the side vents. The contour on top as it gets close to the door pillar is terrible almost flat and where the panel welds to the door jam doesn't fit well either.

Has anyone ran into this and do you have any suggestions. I would include some pic's but don't know how to do it on this site?

Thanks I really need the help!
Terry

Lost in NJ
03-05-2006, 03:08 PM
All the repro stuff I have seen for the mustang is horrible as far as fine detail goes. Some parts seem to be designed to fit over the existing sheetmetal. One guy was trying to hang a full qtr on a 68 and found it too long and other problems.

I only replaces the areas that bad on my fastback. I only needed a small area in front and behind the wheel house. I spent quite a bit of time reworking the contours of the repro metal. None of the edges have the right bends and they need to be trimmed. Keep in mind this has more to do with fit than going for show points.

My advice is to just replace the bad metal and try to keep all the edges original. Depending on your problems this may not be possible.

Good luck getting it all to work.

MARTINSR
03-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Before you get into this too much, why are you replacing the quarter? Can you stay below the body line and not even get up into the vent area? I can't imagine you needing to replace the upper area, I have never seen a reason to.

Brian

teg51
03-05-2006, 10:28 PM
It had been slid into a tree or something, the damage was into the body line. It had been repaired but not a good job and rust had also set in just on that quarter above the body line must have been something to do with the repair.

I already have the old quarter removed and the new one in place. I did get the problem figured out on the door post fit. Now I am trying to figure out how to get the contour right just behind the door post and below the vent where the two pices join. I am sure I will get some conture as I continue to fit it but the body line right there seems about 1/4" low compared to the door. As far as I can tell right now the rest of the body line is about right.

Terry