PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way to restore this grille?

Ray62406
12-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Its anodized and painted black. I plan to buff a shine back to it if possible and reapply the black out areas. I think masking will be a nightmare but havent tried it yet. How should I prep the metal to get the paint to adhere to it? Would I be better off to get a artists brush and brush the black out areas? Thanks in advance...http://home.kc.rr.com/hillebrand/Galaxie/100_0987.JPGhttp://home.kc.rr.com/hillebrand/Galaxie/100_0986.JPG

Steve g
12-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Hope we hear some input on this as I have several pieces to do as well. But here's what I've learned so far. I tried buffing up the aluminum with a buffing wheel mounted to a bench grinder. You can not take the scratches out or get it to shine much better without removing the anodizing. If you work it long and hard enough with the green compound you will get through the anodizing and start to polish the aluminum.

After a bit of research I found that you can remove the anodizing by either sanding it off or dipping in caustic soda, Once removed you can polish the aluminum with the appropriate buffing compounds and wheels. But unanodized alum will oxidize very quickly. Your options are to have the polished alum clear anodized or spray it with a clear finish designed for alum (I don't know what that would be yet).

My plan with painting the black back on would be to mask with a plastic tape to get the shape then with paper tape. (it's not as hard as it looks with the right tape). I was then going to rough up the surface with 220 or 320 (need help here), not going through the anodizing, shoot a coat of epoxy then within the recoat of the epoxy a black urethane base followed by Dupont's Hot Hues matted clear. I think this would provide a more durable finish.

Sure would like to hear other's thoughts on this.
Steve g

Ranchero_65
12-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Easy off oven cleaner will take the anodizing off , spray it on and let it set a while . There is also a anodizing remover but i can't recall who makes it . I got some at a swap meet a while back and it works quick . I have read in the Falcon forum I'm in that a guy took off the anodizing on a grill and buffed it up then coated it with clear coat and it looks good .

RayDean
12-16-2007, 02:40 PM
I'd be careful about using any kind of an acid on aluminum, it will eat it alive. ;)

lbell101
12-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Easy Off works, I've used it. Not real fast though. Polishing is easy if there are few pits but sometimes grilles are full of them. The last time I did one I cleared it with the stuff that the old brass fan collectors use on polished blades, I think it was called Nylac? It did keep most of it's gloss which many clears will dull down. But I'd be tempted to leave it bare and use Zoopseal on it next time.

Larry

dave_demented
12-16-2007, 09:32 PM
for the anodized pieces on my 61, i'm still not sure what to do with them. We polished up most of them on our bench mounted wheel, and they come out looking better than chrome....

Nyalic sadly doesnt exist anymore. It was an eastwood product that was phased out and replaced with their "diamondclear" line. The eastwood rep told me this was due to a yellowing problem, which neither my dad or i have ever seen(he used nyalic on his bare cast parts on his vet about 10 years ago, no yellowing) oh well.. diamondclear isnt nearly as good as nyalic, but it does get the job done.