View Full Version : seam sealer question

12-11-2007, 06:49 PM
I had a guy ask me about repainting both rear quarter panels on a 1968 Ford Ranger pickup (yes a Ranger). Down the side is a raised section all the way down the center of it (I don't know the proper name for it). It is like a raised "V". Some models had trim on top of this raised section. This particular model has no trim. This section has a thin line of seam sealer above and below it and is cracked and some minor surface rust in places. What is it called and where can I buy some? Also how do I prep the area after the old sealer is replaced? Please forward any help and info.

12-11-2007, 07:21 PM
I like that name! It's called seam sealer........I am sure Len sells just what you are looking for.

tommie b

12-11-2007, 07:42 PM
That's right it's seam sealer. I'd try to remove some of the existing sealer using a sharp blade of some sort then run some folded 80 grit in the seam to help clean it up. I would probably use Fusor 800 and allow it to harden overnight or longer before painting. The 800 comes in a caulk tube that would allow you to lay a noodle on the seam then run your gloved finger down the seam to make it smooth and level then wipe off the excess with some solvent and paper towels. Be sure to remove ALL of the excess because once this stuff sets up it can be a bear to remove.


Seam Sealer Link (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=JASS)

12-12-2007, 05:44 AM
Take note he said GLOVED finger. Nothing will remove it from your skin except time (ask me how I know :( )