PDA

View Full Version : Finally got it in Primer - My project

rw7810
12-07-2007, 11:04 AM
It's a 70 911T Porsche I've been working on. Bare metal repaint. Stripped off about 11 layers of paint using a Makita w/ 80 grit disks as well as paint stripper, stripper disks, dremel tool and every other known tool. Use PPG DLF40 epoxy primer. Today I'll put on some PPG K36 primer/surfacer.

edited - not sure what happened to pictures.

Harry Phinney
12-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Bob,

Did you have to replace much or any sheet metal? I'll soon be starting a rust repair and repaint job on '67 912.

Harry Phinney

Len
12-07-2007, 01:32 PM
It's a 70 911T Porsche I've been working on. Bare metal repaint. Stripped off about 11 layers of paint using a Makita w/ 80 grit disks as well as paint stripper, stripper disks, dremel tool and every other known tool. Use PPG DLF40 epoxy primer. Today I'll put on some PPG K36 primer/surfacer.

edited - not sure what happened to pictures.

Those early 70s 911s usually rusted on the fenders near the headlamps and near the doors. One of the big problems was that there was no protection from debree flying off the wheel and holding moisture against these areas.

When we were doing nothing but German cars we made molds and manufacturered plastic inner wheelhouses that we would install to protect the body from this problem. At that time we got the idea from the Japanese imports. :D