PDA

View Full Version : opinions need if repairwork feasible

TheCoatingStore.com

ionic_slimm
03-03-2006, 07:54 AM
Hello! A relative up mine got into a car accident and wanted me to take a look at repairing his car. The car was hit on the driver side quarter panel. It looks like it was wopped pretty bad but the repair looks doable. Do you think its worth repairing? I'm used to do small work repair like pulling the radiator support but the repair on this will be quite different. What do you guys think? Pics are below for a better view of the damage.

http://www.cs.uno.edu/~tpham3/integra/closeup.JPG
http://www.cs.uno.edu/~tpham3/integra/driverside.JPG
http://www.cs.uno.edu/~tpham3/integra/frontend.JPG
http://www.cs.uno.edu/~tpham3/integra/reardriver.JPG

CDJr
03-03-2006, 08:54 AM
Wowee!!! I hope they were OK, that car took a good lick alright. Im far from an Acura expert, but Id say the best way to assess it would be to make up a list of what all needs repaired and try to get a ballpark figure, maybe see what you can find a donor car for, and whether or not the frame is bent would heavily factor into the equation. The engine compartment looks intact. Still, it looks like a fairly major job to me, but also one that would be a learning experience.

cruzindablvd
03-03-2006, 08:57 AM
To be honest with you. If i was you before you any kind of repairs you sould bring it to a shop just to see if you bent the frame.

Len
03-03-2006, 10:27 AM
I'm pretty sure that the amount of labor and parts involved with that repair is going to exceed the value of the car. Of course if you don't count the value of your labor in the equation then almost anything is repairable.

This is not a job for an inexperienced repairer because the unibody will need to be repaired properly so that the panels align and the car goes down the road straight. Straightening the unibody will usually take some pretty sophisticated equipment but can be farmed out to a good shop if necessary.

A donor car is a good investment in a situation like this. Since the front is in good shape a donor should be fairly easy to find but the cost will need to be factored into the effort.

The mistake most inexperienced people make, looking at a big hit, is they look at the rest of the car that's not damaged and think "well, all the rest of the car is ok" but you should look at what it's going to take to actually make it into a good car again. The insurance companies figured it out a long time ago; they will almost always "total loss" a car that sustains 75 to 80 percent of the value of the car in damage. You can learn from there experience. However if you can find a donor car with damage to other areas you may be able to make one straight car out of two bent ones. I've done it many times.

Roch_Greg
03-03-2006, 10:58 AM
Please don't take anything I say here as offending cause it's not meant to be.

With the disclaimer out of the way, I'm not sure who you are, but unless your running a professional collision shop, I don't see how you would consider that damage fixable.

Len pointed out everything that needs to be said about it. You have some serious structrual damage there. I don't think a restoration shop would want that job.

I'm curious as to what the insurance company said, won't they total the car?

Again no offense.

ionic_slimm
03-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Good points. I wanted some sort of advice before undertaking a repair like that. The owner only has liability on the car.

Sid
03-03-2006, 12:57 PM
if I were going to fix that car I would clip it.

Len
03-03-2006, 02:25 PM
Good points. I wanted some sort of advice before undertaking a repair like that. The owner only has liability on the car.

He may be better off cutting his losses by just writing this one off and getting another car.

Phil V
03-03-2006, 11:22 PM
As soon as I seen the first picture I thought " there's a reason why the insurance company totalled that one ". Apparently no insurance company was involved because of no collision coverage, buf if they had been -- it would be a total.

Having said that - I have repaired many totals. The first thing that car needs is to go on a frame machine and pull the floor/rocker area back out a foot and a half along with the front edge of the quarter panel. Even the roof is buckled above the drivers door. I also agree with the poster who suggested clipping the car. THAT IS MOST DEFINATELY NOT A JOB FOR A NOVICE OR A HOBBIEST. That could turn into a difficult job even for an experienced professional bodyman. If it was your intention to help a friend out by repairing his car that had no insurance then cut it short right now and walk away. If it is your intention to pick the car up for a couple hundred dollars and get it repaired for yourself you may be money ahead to just go buy one thats never been wrecked and let that one go to the boneyard where it belongs.

casey
03-04-2006, 01:36 PM
Another line o thinking no one has mentioned yet , look for another of the same model that is wrecked in a different area (not so bad) and use the car you have as a donor car. Its been hit bad in a bad area for the home shop rebuild.

Ray

68-chevyman
03-04-2006, 02:56 PM
I just finished a job like that only not so hit so hard. I pull very hard on the floor(you can do damage if you have to pull very hard)