PDA

View Full Version : The worst thing about stripping a car to bare metal is,

jemmons
12-01-2007, 02:21 PM
finding all of the dents, dings, rust and other wonderful hidden goodies that didn't look nearly as bad when you went to purchase the once in a lifetime deal. I wanted to take this car for all of the body work/prep and paint to a shop but it looks like I will need to do some of the work or spend way more money than I expected. I have a ton of the usual 40 year old car dents from dime to 3 inches across and a fairly nasty looking lower q-panel dent/crush from the bottom rear of the wheel opening upwards toward the taillight. Also the former owner/idiot had decided to remove all of the chrome on the car and beat in any area that had chrome and then slapped the area with bondo. A positive point is that the car (66 Fairlane) is realitively rust free. I've read and read on this site and you guys make filler work sound easy but I am a hands on kinda learner and need to see the process. My attempts have been less than acceptable. Are there any good videos on the market showing the process of body work? One other question, what is the best way to paint the inside of the car roof without your paint spilling out of your gun? :reading:

Len
12-01-2007, 03:29 PM
finding all of the dents, dings, rust and other wonderful hidden goodies that didn't look nearly as bad when you went to purchase the once in a lifetime deal. I wanted to take this car for all of the body work/prep and paint to a shop but it looks like I will need to do some of the work or spend way more money than I expected. I have a ton of the usual 40 year old car dents from dime to 3 inches across and a fairly nasty looking lower q-panel dent/crush from the bottom rear of the wheel opening upwards toward the taillight. Also the former owner/idiot had decided to remove all of the chrome on the car and beat in any area that had chrome and then slapped the area with bondo. A positive point is that the car (66 Fairlane) is realitively rust free. I've read and read on this site and you guys make filler work sound easy but I am a hands on kinda learner and need to see the process. My attempts have been less than acceptable. Are there any good videos on the market showing the process of body work? One other question, what is the best way to paint the inside of the car roof without your paint spilling out of your gun? :reading:

As far as videos go I think I've seen just albout all of them and they all have something to offer but I opted not to sell any of them because most were too expensive for what you got and left out a lot of information or had info that I felt was incorrect. However most of them contain tips that you can use. Do a search on Google and you're bound to come up with several. Also take a look at the tips found in the BASICs area of the site and especially those by Brian Martin in the BASIS OF BASICS (http://autobodystore.com/martinsr.shtml) pages.

Filler work isn't usually difficult until you reach the final stages where you want to get it perfect, it's then that you need the right tools, materials and techniques to get a good result.

As far as painting upside down I've found the DeVilbiss Cup Liners to be the least expensive tool to do the job. There are other ways but for most folks the liners work quite well. I've linked them below.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/DEVOMX70K48.jpg
Cup Liner Link (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DEVOMX70K48W&Category_Code=1D)