PDA

View Full Version : Possible to reduce shopline clears?

ernest
12-01-2007, 06:16 AM
Goodmorning, I was considering ppg shopline clears because they are cost effective. I have use ppg 2002 (non-shopline). Though it's a fine clear it is very expensive.

I was specifically looking at shopline clear JC620 and JC781. Does anyone have any experience with these clears?

The spec sheet does not list a reducer. It lists hardner, and additives. I guess the additives are in the form of flexer and fish eye remover. I like the ability of reducing my clears to help in flow. Has anyone reduced shopline clears? and if so with what? and how much reduction?

Thanks in advance,
Ernest
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2093325/

Chris L
12-01-2007, 07:27 AM
If you have a nice gun that is adjusted good,you shouldnt need reducer.The finish is much nicer without it,unless it calls for it in the mix.However,i have used a splash of reducer in clear.It's a fine line between if it helps flow out,and then becomeing too much and getting die back,shrinkage.:o

Len
12-01-2007, 07:30 AM
I agree with Chris, adding reducer where it doesn't belong can cause a dull finish. Some paint products have reducer and activator together and mixing the activator with the clear will make it the proper viscosity for spraying. As Chris mentioned a good gun will help insure a smoother finish.

ernest
12-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the info. I've decided not to reduce if not called for, no need to jepordize the integrity of the shine.

Ernest