PDA

View Full Version : Trying to stretch metal

TheCoatingStore.com

broncorick
02-28-2006, 01:29 PM
I have a 1966 Bronco. I welded a new quarter panel in but I have notced it is a little 'flat'. There should be a bit of an outward curve but I can see where it flattens. How can I stretch the metal to get a little more to allow it to push out. Don't want to Bondo or lead as that would add to much material -Thanks

Phil V
02-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Once the quarter panel is welded on there isn't much you can do to put your bow in it. If it was off the Bronco you could use a planishing hammer and an english wheel to get the contour you're look for. What you see now on your truck is pretty much what you get short of a LOT of bondo (obviously not an option).

68-chevyman
02-28-2006, 09:59 PM
Where their is a will their is a way! Can we see some pics.

Len
02-28-2006, 11:12 PM
I have a 1966 Bronco. I welded a new quarter panel in but I have notced it is a little 'flat'. There should be a bit of an outward curve but I can see where it flattens. How can I stretch the metal to get a little more to allow it to push out. Don't want to Bondo or lead as that would add to much material -Thanks

Is it drawn in and flat over the welded seam or elsewhere?

John Kelly
03-01-2006, 10:46 AM
If you can reach the back side, you can hammer on dolly to stretch the weld and the metal to the sides of the weld that turned blue from welding. This article might help:

http://metalshapers.org/101/jkelly/index.html

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

broncorick
03-02-2006, 08:09 AM
The only thing I can figure is that the welding when cooling contracted nd pulled some of the bow out. Came as a replacement panel and with construction of this, not much support on the panel itself as designed. I can get behind the panel up to the weld itself. I will try to get some pics onboard. Thanks -Rick

John Kelly
03-02-2006, 08:37 AM
That is what happens when welding... the metal shrinks leaving you with less surface area.

broncorick
03-03-2006, 01:15 PM
would hammering the welds when heated up help, or could I heat a linear area and hammer with dolly to expand or move out some of the metal-Thanks

Len
03-03-2006, 02:23 PM
would hammering the welds when heated up help, or could I heat a linear area and hammer with dolly to expand or move out some of the metal-Thanks

Yes, if you can get to both sides of the seam you can hammer and dolly it in order to expand the metal a little.

John Kelly
03-04-2006, 08:27 AM
Heat can be used to make the metal easier to stretch, but it may cause other problems...like shrinking if you get the metal too hot. You can overcome this by stretching a little more...I would only use heat if you can't get enough force into your hammer and dolly work to stretch cold. Let the panel cool down completely before checking the contours or you will get a false read.