PDA

View Full Version : Repairing damaged glass hood

TheCoatingStore.com

Preston Herrick
10-08-2007, 03:08 PM
I had my fiberglass hood leaning against something (one edge down on foam blocks). It got knocked over and the opposite corner struck the side of my car - flat on flat. I now have two cracks in the surface of the hood. It's a well made one piece hood. The scoop is molded in, not bonded on. I don't believe the cracks go any deeper than the primer and glaze beneath. Trying to get this thing ready to paint.

What would be the easiest way to repair this without disturbing all my hard work surrounding it?

Len
10-08-2007, 04:45 PM
I would "V" out the cracks and fill them with a mixture of resin and chopped glass. After the glass hardens I'd level it then use a little polyester putty to tweak it then apply a good 2K primer guide coat and block sand and paint it.

Preston Herrick
10-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Thanks Len. I don't think crack extends into the fiberglass - or even the gel coat. I think it just flexed enough when it hit to crack the primer and putty under it. I'm going to have to dig a little to know for sure. If that's the case, would you still go to the extent of glass and resin to fix this?

Preston Herrick
10-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Good news, if you can call it that. I took an Xacto and chipped the primer away from the crack. It appears to be superficial and stopped at a lower layer of UPol spot primer there in the corner. Lesson learned as to what not to use in the substrate. I ground the area down to the gelcoat and beyond, feathered it, and building back up with putty. Should be okay.

Hexhead
10-14-2007, 10:59 PM
I couldn't click to see pictures what I'm I doing wrong? I have see some on other post and they were underlined and clickable. I learn a lot from seeing.