PDA

View Full Version : grinding noise when rolling the window down

TheCoatingStore.com

SHOWCAR FINISH
09-12-2007, 02:43 PM
I have 01' Jetta and I got into my car after school and the window made a crunching noise. It goes up and down but it seems the motor is struggling to get it to work and there's something grinding in there. What do you guys think this is most likely due to? I think I'm gonna work on it at school tomorrow but am just curious. It feels like an obstruction but again I dont know. Any help would be appreciated.

56Ford
09-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Prob the plastic gears committing suicide............

However I'm unsure if VW uses a gear system.

SHOWCAR FINISH
09-12-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm not sure but I think they put a huge metal plate behind the inner trim panel and it's riveted in. I don't even recall any openings either.:(

Yelog60
09-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Those window regulators are known to fail all the time, I do a few a week.. They arent all that bad to replace.. They do get pricey though!

SHOWCAR FINISH
09-13-2007, 02:05 AM
Is that noise a usual sign of a regulator about to go bad?

Yelog60
09-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Yes and no, but they do fail often, is very common. The whole insides unbolt, its pretty simple..

Variant
09-14-2007, 06:15 PM
I have 01' Jetta and I got into my car after school and the window made a crunching noise. It goes up and down but it seems the motor is struggling to get it to work and there's something grinding in there. What do you guys think this is most likely due to? I think I'm gonna work on it at school tomorrow but am just curious. It feels like an obstruction but again I dont know. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 99 jetta and I had the same problem, its the window regulator. The crunching sound is the wire cable that runs through your pully system. If its crunching that means that your cable is frayed and unraveling and is getting itself stuck in the movement of the main motor. Its an easy fix if you can get the regulator assembly from VW.

SHOWCAR FINISH
09-15-2007, 04:01 PM
that makes sense. I had a feeling it had something directly related to the wire and pulley. I think for the 01' the regulators come with an aluminum water deflector attached(German engineering:mad: ). Thanks.

dave_demented
09-15-2007, 10:05 PM
good ol german engineering. man do i HATE those regulators..... theyre easy to replace, but such a stupid idea imho