PDA

View Full Version : Seal or not to seal that is the question!

TheCoatingStore.com

Hexhead
09-12-2007, 10:18 AM
I finally have my deer dent mudded, re mudded, puddied, primered sanded and ready to paint. Do I need to spray on sealer on it first? If so, the whole panel or just the repaired part.

I've painted stuff before without sealer and it came out all right. Then I started hearing people say seal it. Have I been dodging the bullet? :confused:

Thanks

dave_demented
09-12-2007, 10:36 AM
depending on what products you are using, a sealer can help make a better match(especially on more transparent colors) i usually seal most of what i do, although it is not 100% required. people will typically seal for like what i said before, to get better coverage and matching, and to help keep the paint from beging absorbed into the primercoats

SHOWCAR FINISH
09-12-2007, 11:05 AM
I know a guy who will seal everything if the original paint is peeled but feathered out.

Phil V
09-12-2007, 05:07 PM
No need for sealing on a spot job.

Len
09-12-2007, 09:36 PM
I finally have my deer dent mudded, re mudded, puddied, primered sanded and ready to paint. Do I need to spray on sealer on it first? If so, the whole panel or just the repaired part.

I've painted stuff before without sealer and it came out all right. Then I started hearing people say seal it. Have I been dodging the bullet? :confused:

Thanks

Some paint won't cover well and a sealer is a must but I rarely use a sealer when shooting quality materials. If you're spraying Chromabase be sure to seal with the appropriate color sealer because it can have very poor coverage.