PDA

View Full Version : Oh deer!

TheCoatingStore.com

Hexhead
09-06-2007, 03:19 PM
I was working on my deer dent on my pu the other day and got it looking pretty good.( sanded it to the metal 36) I thought I'd spray some high build primer on it to see if I had any high or low spots (I did) tried it again and she looked good so I sanded the primer and laid the mud to it. Then I thought. Is that going to make for any problem's putting the mud over the primer. Thoughts! :confused:

SHOWCAR FINISH
09-06-2007, 04:06 PM
yes. You should only have epoxy primer under filler, and that's usually only recommended for aluminum. Filler is only for bare metal. If you're just leveling small areas with polyester putty/glaze putty than you're ok with putting it over primer. Is that high build you're using even ok for bare metal apps? Usually Etch is for bare metal and hi build is over non metal surfaces. I like to run a big block over the panel with 40 grit. That'll tell me where my lows are really quick. Than I'd fill them. Etch all the bare metal areas, and high build prime it. Last I'd poly putty all the tiny imperfections that reveal themselves after blocking the guide.

Len
09-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Read the technical info on the primer you used, if the primer is made to be applied directly to the metal you'll be ok.

SHOWCAR FINISH
09-06-2007, 06:16 PM
how is that when filler isn't designed to adhere as well to non metal surfaces?

Hexhead
09-07-2007, 09:44 AM
The acrylic primer doesn't say how to use it just a one to one ratio. So your saying sand off the filler? Another thing after I applied the mud the it rained didn't even have time to cheese it but it was pretty dry before it rained, Ever since it's has been raining. Does the filler absorb a lot of moisture and if so how long should be allowed to dry on a hot day. I know this is a mute point if I have to sand it all off but I've always been curious if filler absorbs moisture. :confused:

SHOWCAR FINISH
09-07-2007, 10:26 AM
it absorbs a little moisture and would have absorbed some but don't think it would absorb much if any if you left the parafins on and didn't grate. It will dry faster on a hot day as you can imagine so just add less hardener.