PDA

View Full Version : What to do with dipped chassis after ospo?

TheCoatingStore.com

flatsixcrazy
02-17-2006, 10:40 PM
Hi Len and everyone,

I have a 1972 Porsche 911 chassis/shell that has been dipped and coated in ospo. I tried to keep it dry but the humid condition of Northern VA summer has oxidized the chassis/shell a little. I would like to recoat the shell using Picklex-20 and epoxy primer it before it gets any worse. My question for the forum is 1) can I picklex-20 over ospo?, or will I need to wash off the ospo and then picklex-20 the chassis/shell, and 2) the current temp in northern VA is 40-50 degrees, what is the lowest temp that picklex-20 and epoxy primer can be applied?. Thanks in advance for all your help. Andy

Len
02-17-2006, 11:37 PM
I've never used Picklex 20 over Ospho so I don't know how it would react. You could try a small area to see what happens then go from there. The Picklex could probably be used at just about any temp but I'd probably use it above 40 F just to be safe. The epoxy primer should be above 55 for sure and 60 would be better.

flatsixcrazy
02-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Thanks Len,
I'll be ordering picklex-20 in a few weeks. BTW, how would you determine if the picklex-20 is not compatible?, does it flakes off or become cloudy after application on top of the ospo?. Andy

Len
02-18-2006, 11:27 PM
Thanks Len,
I'll be ordering picklex-20 in a few weeks. BTW, how would you determine if the picklex-20 is not compatible?, does it flakes off or become cloudy after application on top of the ospo?. Andy

I would scuff the surface with some 180 or 220 then apply the Picklex 20. After the Picklex dries apply some masking tape and press it on well the pull it off quickly. If the tape pulls the Picklex off the surface then you should sand down to the metal THEN treat with Picklex. I usually scuff the Picklex before I apply epoxy primer.

Bruce P
02-19-2006, 09:22 AM
I'm curious what the dipping process was that called for the Ospho treatment following it.

flatsixcrazy
02-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Hi Bruce,
It was chem. dipped by the previous owner and he aplied Ospo to protect it while he was working on patching the panels etc. When I pick up the roller from the owner, he did mentioned that he used ospo for rust protection. Andy

Bruce P
02-22-2006, 10:34 PM
Andy,
My bad. Back to the cave...

Roch_Greg
02-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Unless I'm missing something I don't see where the previous owner messed up.
According the Ospo's website (http://www.ospho.com/directions.htm) the directions state you can apply it to new and rusted metal.

In fact from what I read it seems alot like Picklex-20. I think the previous owner went with what he knew at the time (certainly doesn't warranty a slap in the head).