PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes-BMW hold down tips please

TheCoatingStore.com

Lizard Man
07-28-2007, 09:17 AM
Every time I get a Mercedes or a BMW hit pretty hard that requires a sideways pull I collapse the rockers at the hold down points.I cant seem to come up with any solution for this as there are not any places to hold one down besides those holes you put the peg type clamps in.Seems like a bad manufacturing design to me.I use the clamps from Tools USA and have not seen any different style.Please help.
Thanks,Kevin

Len
07-28-2007, 10:23 AM
If they're T-boned pretty bad they are usually totalled. I've tied them to suspension mounts that seem to hold pretty good but, like I said, if they are hit hard the owner may be better off scrapping the car.

PJM
07-29-2007, 12:59 PM
Lizard man-

When the car is on the frame rack can you see any visible damage to the tunnel?...cracked paint, wrinkled metal etc?. I worked at a Mercedes Only body shop we had a car come in that was t-boned pretty hard, called the dealer who called Germany for whatever reason, the word was that if ANY damage was present in the tunnel that the car was NOT to be repaired by any means.

klandor
07-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Lizard Man That Tube on the side of the rockers is only a jacking tube for jacking up the vehicle . that is the way mercedes designed their vehicles,they want their vehicles to be repaired on a dedicated bench(fixture) system. if you were to cut off the rocker ,you will find there isn't much of anything around that tube, that is why the tube moves and the rocker collapses. farther down under the rocker where the rocker meets the floor it is a little more solid in that area . you might be able to mount some kind of a pinch weld flange that you can put a regular set of rocker clamps on , and mount them at your 4 torque box locations. but be very carefull !!! other than that if you don't have access to a fixture system style bench ,you"ll have to create some sort of holding fixtures to adapt to your frame machine, or your limited to lighter pulls.

Lizard Man
08-01-2007, 07:28 PM
That is what I needed to know,Thanks