PDA

View Full Version : Core Support

TheCoatingStore.com

jnhconklin
12-01-2005, 06:34 PM
I have a 2001 chev xcab 1500 4x4. left front of the core support was bent, I replaced it with a new one and it won't sit down at fender level on either side. Is there a trick to this? The core support is exact same measurements as the one I took out. The mounting gromets seem to be holding it up, do they need to be compressed somehow?
Thanks, Jerry

grumpy
12-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Dump question but have you got the truck up on jack stands and where are they. Reason I ask is that a frame will "flex " if they're at the cowl just enough to cause a condition like you said. Another question are you replacing all the shims that were orginial
Grumpy:D

jnhconklin
12-01-2005, 10:33 PM
No, it is not on jackstands. I am using the factory gromets with the steel enclosure that mounts the core support to the frame. There are no shims.

fixdent
12-01-2005, 11:54 PM
could it be possible that the frame horns are pushed up. Was it in an accident, therefore needing replaced.

Or could it simply be that because the rad support is not there, that the fenders are sagging down, and just need to be lifted up to attach to the support.

How hard was it to take out the original rad support...??

--
Gordon

MARTINSR
12-06-2005, 09:13 PM
The frame could be up, or just the rad support mounts on the frame, they bend easy. The top should be level with the top of the frame.

You want to tighten the bolts down tight to compress the bushings.

It is very common to "help" the fenders fit by putting a jack under the frame right at the firewall and lifting a little. This will flex the frame and bring the top of the rad support down, closing the gap at the bottom rear of the fender to rocker.

Brian

68-chevyman
01-11-2006, 12:29 AM
If something is bent then disregard this coment. The suport is tapered on the top surface. When It looks taller its just the tall side of the taper. Shove in the left side then the right tighten the mounts. then check the fender fit it should be fine.