PDA

View Full Version : making a cowl hood?

TheCoatingStore.com

Hurst
07-10-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm getting a free stock hood today to experiment on and I'd like to make a cowl hood out of it. I was thinking I would measure and cut along the factory body lines, raise it up about 2 inches, measure and weld some strips of metal in the gap. Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Should I just tack weld the new metal in place and finish with all metal so I don't warp the entire hood? Or will I have problems down the road? If I do a continuous weld what are some ways to keep the whole from warping?

I really appreciate your help. BTW it's a 03 dodge ram.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p68093e414832aef364a16cd4b5e7e668/e8a43016.jpg

Buck in WV
07-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Hurst, I just think that if you cut that hood the way you are planning, the edges of the cuts are going to just get all squirrely on you. I don't think the cut will stay strait. I think the structural integrity of the hood would be affected and weakened. If it were me I'd try to fabricate the cowl from other material and weld it onto the hood. or get an after market one of the correct size and weld it on.

Having said that I'm the first to say that I'm not a very good welder or metal fabricator, but that is just my opinion. Hopefully you will get other posts from someone with experience in cutting into a hood.

Buck

Hurst
07-13-2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the reply but I already started choppin it up. I'll try and get some pictures up later this evening. I added metal to the sides and glued them down with metal bond adhesive then finished with some tack welds for peace of mind. I should be ready for all metal and body filler tomorrow. I'm working on the underside right now(it's going to be functional);)

Len
07-13-2007, 04:56 PM
If I were doing it I'd probably purchase a fiberglass scoop to raise the center.