PDA

View Full Version : Putty over epoxy primer?

TheCoatingStore.com

fuzzy
07-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Hello,
Great forum! Great info. I'm trying my hand at auto restoration by working on a 1960 Bugeye Sprite. The little guy was a freebie and a collision casualty. So far I'm generally satified with the project. I'm getting good rust removal, panel, floor, sill, pillars and firewall replacement or fabrication experience. (Maybe "good" is not exactly the correct word.) The process has been fun and challenging. I feel like I'm duplicating my efforts though. Time .... Ok, my personality is such that I might work an area for a couple of hours, spray the bare metal with cheap rattle can primer to protect it knowing that it maybe several weeks before I return to the car. There are at least 6 coats of paint on the body also , so I'm trying to strip the car in sections as I go, again covering with rattle can primer. Could I just strip or work an area, spray with epoxy primer as a more permanent solution and then at some later date just scuff the EP and use my filler (bondo) over the top or should I remove the EP to use filler? Can EP be sprayed in a gagrage setting relatively safely?
Larry

fuzzy
07-13-2007, 08:45 AM
:confused: wrong forum?

Larry

Sid
07-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Stripping a panel then protecting it with epoxy primer is a much better choice than using the rattle can primer. As far as the filler goes it can be done either way, scuffed the epoxy with 80 grit and apply your filler or grind the area and apply the filler. either way is acceptable.

Roch_Greg
07-13-2007, 09:44 AM
There is a wealth of information in the classroom pages and in fact Len just added one on Filler adhesion (http://autobodystore.com/filler_&_epoxy.shtml).

Greg

teetop60
07-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Hi fuzzy,
If you work in sessions over time get some Picklex from Len and treat the bare metal as you go. The stuff works so don't have spray a primer until the stripping is complete even if it takes months. I did extensive metal work over a years time in a humid climate and never had any rust appear on the bare metal that I treated. One pint of the stuff will cover three Sprites.
Hope this helps
teetop60

fuzzy
07-18-2007, 06:06 AM
THANKS for the info. I'm still reading through all the posts in all of Len's forums. It'll take some time to digest the info. Funny how one can relate to others restorations experiences; rust removal, panel replacement, welding, etc. My greatest hurdle currently is trying to figure out how come I put a gallon of filler on and sand off, well, a gallon of filler. All part of the learning process I guess. Thanks again.

Larry