PDA

View Full Version : Drip Rail Restore

silentdub
07-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Hey guys, I'm working on this 80 VW Rabbit.

I was looking at the drip rails, and trying to figure out what to do with them.

I was thinking of shaving them off and making the body smooth, but it looks like that is where the body and roof are rolled together, I am not sure why the factory just didn't weld them both.

I can cut, weld, and then smooth over them, but If I were to keep them what would you recommend:

The drip rails have some rust on top and under them, they are still solid, just need to grind a little.

I was thinking that I could grind the rust off and make it smooth, use a rust converter and then coat it with a resin and that should seal it and make it nice and smooth. Is this a good idea?

Roch_Greg
07-04-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm working on mine on a 85 Regal. I grinded out the layer of the roof that rest's on top of the drip rail and welded new metal in. I also had to weld in new metal coming up from the drip rail to the roof midway.

Depending on the body style it can be a job. But I had tried everything else over the years and the rust just keep coming back.

Greg

silentdub
07-04-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm working on mine on a 85 Regal. I grinded out the layer of the roof that rest's on top of the drip rail and welded new metal in. I also had to weld in new metal coming up from the drip rail to the roof midway.

Depending on the body style it can be a job. But I had tried everything else over the years and the rust just keep coming back.

Greg

That is why I was thinking of grinding, treating then coating it with resin.

I am still considering cutting it off, welding and then going smooth, I think this will be quite a bit more work though. I may go to a junk yard and see what it looks like if I cut it off. I am not sure how the two pieces are tucked and rolled. If I was able to cut, spot weld, pound it and fill it, then I may just do that. I am not up at this part of the project yet, so I have time to think.

88GT
07-04-2007, 10:03 PM
If its solid I would sand blast it and epoxy prime...then seam seal like the factory does. The roof skin should be sitting on top of the pillar structure. The rail is part of the pillar structure. you could "shave it down" but I dont think you would gain anything

silentdub
07-04-2007, 10:25 PM
you could "shave it down" but I dont think you would gain anything

aahaaa

gain=nice smooth look, one less thing to rust in the future.