PDA

View Full Version : 84 Olds Cutlass

RedOlds
06-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Hey all, first time on this site.
Boatload of info on this site but when ur as noobish as me its all chinese.
To start I have an 84 olds cutlass supreme. I'm looking to restore it best I can.
I know motors but I know nothing about paint or primer or bondo or metal or....
My first job was to do the roof cause the rust was getting too deep and I don't want t-tops. So I sanded and sanded and sanded, but cant get the pits out. I sprayed rustoleum on it then primed it...? uhm imma newb so go easy with the jokes :).
Any ideas on what I should do, maybe sand off the primer and rustoleum, then bondo it and go from there? I'll get the video but I would still like to talk to someone who can walk me through it. thanks in advance
P.S. pics will come soon

Roch_Greg
06-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Welcome aboard from another G-body owner (I'm working on a '85 Regal Coupe).

Roofs on these cars are the worst, they are very prone to rusting from inside out.

The way I get into the pits is with a sandblaster, but some will say that even then there will be some rust at the bottom of the pit's you can't get to.

Get some Picklex-20 (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=P20&Category_Code=6RCC) from Len here at the store. After you've gotten all the paint out of the way and have removed as much of the rust as you can (a wire brush wheel on a tool sometimes is better than just sand paper) you can lay some of this stuff down and let it "dwell" for a few then wipe the panel/spot down to remove any access.

When ever you go to metal, even if it's not rusty, you need to clean and prep it before putting paint down. Picklex-20 does this in addition to neutralizing rust.

Greg

RedOlds
06-24-2007, 10:00 PM
ty for the fast reply looks like i gotta go start sanding :(

tombsycles
06-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Hi,

Once you've removed all the finish to "bare metal", there is only so much you can do.

Keep in mind, there is no such thing as "bodyman in a can".

The products sold as "rust removers" may do in a pinch, but as I assume you're talking about roof edges that aren't perforated by rust, there is another way of removing pitting close to them.

Once the window and drip-rail moldings are removed, a cheap, hand-held media blaster works well.
You would need an air compressor to do so.

Keep in mind though.... once you blast the areas, you may enconter rust perforation you didn't think was there before.

Edges are fine to blast at home compressor pressures, but stay away from blasting anywhere on a flat panel, and you'll save yourself a whole lot of hurt in getting it straight again.

Cheers,

Tom:)

Ed in SC.
06-25-2007, 09:17 PM
"but when ur as noobish as me its all chinese"
Here is a lot of INFO that will help you

Click here "Be sure to read up on the glossary" (http://autobodystore.com/glossary.htm)
Good luck

RedOlds
06-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Couldn't find noobish or even chinese in the glossary but ty for the broken link:)