PDA

View Full Version : Panel template

TheCoatingStore.com

ben alverson
06-14-2007, 10:29 AM
I have seen on one of the cable programs-maybe Chip Foose- how to make
a template for a body panel. In this case, it is the right rear quarter of a Tacoma. Whoever it was used something simple to make the template to accurately reproduce the panel to match to opposing side. Does anyone know about this or have a suggestion? Thanks.

Len
06-14-2007, 02:53 PM
I don't know how Chip does it but when we do it we will use one of two things. If the cut doesn't need to be real accurate we will use masking paper but for more accurate cuts I like using thin cardboard, the type that shirt boxes are made of. I'll tape or hold the material in position and trace the outline of the panel on my template material then cut out the template and place it on the metal and trace it. Using the backing strip method I'll usually cut the metal about 1/8" short because the backing strip allows for a small gap and the repair almost always comes out perfect. I'd like to say it always comes out perfect but you know how that goes. :rolleyes:

buildin64
06-15-2007, 05:59 AM
I thought maybe you were speaking of what we call in the auto. engineering, "form a gauge"? It will duplicate a shape/contour of the good side of your vehicle so you can check the other side as you progress to repairing it when bumping it out. We use to use this in engineering before we had white light scanning or electronic probes that now give us math data to enable us to benchmark our competitors for surface contours on their vehicles as compared to what we wanted to do with ours.
So my thought was your looking for something to give you surface contours where as Lens comment is more for a patch panel?
If its surface contours maybe Len can hook you up with the type of gauge I am speaking of.