PDA

View Full Version : wrx quarter panel repair

upjeeper
05-30-2007, 09:54 PM
any chance i could get some advice on repairing this car?
i've found it for sale and my wife has even approved the project! I've got a fair amount of mechanical experience (motor swaps and the like), but have done minimal body work. I realize this isn't a simple repair, but is it something that a competent person with some patience can do?

what do you guys think it would cost to have a pro do the work?

thanks!

http://carad.ebayimg.com/i18/05/a/000/77/81/0e66_4.JPG

upjeeper
05-30-2007, 09:57 PM
and also, any ideas where i can read how to do the repair work? any places online have good how to's?
thanks again

TimG
05-31-2007, 01:12 AM
Just by the pic,car needs a qtr,needs to be pulled back into shape by a shop.
If you've never done bodywork before,this car isn't the place to start!
See if you can get someone from a local shop to look at it before you commit to buying,maybe work a deal where you dissasemble/reassemble,they pull it, hang the panels,and paint it.

Len
05-31-2007, 09:29 AM
If that car came into our shop we would pull on the damage then make a list of parts needed. After the parts were delivered we would remove the quarter and probably the rear body panel, straighten or replace any damaged surrounding sheet metal and install the new parts.

Since every model car is different and each hit can cause different damage it can be difficult to give accurate instructions on how to do the repair but there are some similarities in hits of this nature.

You'll want to look at the new metal to see what comes with it and what doesn't. Cut and fit accordingly.

After you place the new metal in position you want to clamp it and make sure that you can align the surrounding panels. In your case the trunk lid, the door and the bumper need to have the proper gaps and the seals at the lid and door need to be tight when they are closed.

You'll need a variety of vice grips to properly clamp the new metal in place.

Aftermarket sheet metal won't fit as well as OEM parts that are purchased from a Subaru dealer.

Phil V
05-31-2007, 09:52 AM
A basic ball park estimate on that car to repair would be around $4,000.00 - $6,000.00. Could be more if there is left rear suspension damage and other unsuspected damage, could be a little less if you bought used parts. There is a reason why that car is not sitting in the owners driveway all repaired and looking new again ( I don't mean that in a sarcastic way, just stating the obvious).

AutobodyCAD
05-31-2007, 03:08 PM
If you can get it for a song and a dance or three, it might be worth it. If the guy wants $8 g's or more, forget it.

Phil V
05-31-2007, 05:39 PM
Its totally nuts how fast those little Suburu's are.

dave_demented
05-31-2007, 05:55 PM
it almost looks like the rear wheel is a little towed out as well, but its kinda hard to tell in the picture

shoddy_f-body
05-31-2007, 08:49 PM
I just did a job like that on the same car but it was hit square in the back. I replaced a quarter,fixed the other,replaced rear body panel,rear bumper,reinforcement,straightened the trunk floor and a new deck lid. That car needs to go on a frame rack to be pulled. The quarter is hit in a downward position,i would bet the quarter is touching the door and the left frame rail may be down.I bet the tunk floor is crumpled a little too. Needs to be pulled back,new quarter,rear body panel,decklid repaired or replaced,tail light,bumper is probably damaged or at least needs the side bracket. Definately not a job for a novice in his back yard. Also why is the rear glass out?

Ventport
06-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Buy it for $300, put a rear window in it and mount a boat trailer light on the smashed rear fender and drive the hellout of it. Another words it's not worth paying someone else to fix it.

jhowell
06-01-2007, 02:30 PM
If you can get that thing for 3-4K$ and have someone do the framework for a reasonable price, it might be worth it. If you can get it that cheap and it still runs good, you should be able to part it out, and make a nice return on your investment. If it has the big red Brembo brakes on it, The calipers alone could get you close to $1000.

style
06-11-2009, 01:35 AM
i just sold one of those cars today hit right front for 300bucks,clean title too,man things have come down in price quite abit since 2007:nono: ..

Rustbelttrucker
06-11-2009, 10:19 AM
How much can you buy this car for? There are alot of valuable parts on this car, just salvage value alone. If you can buy it right, it might be worth your while to fix it.

I had a Honda Civic EX with similar damage fixed at a local community college for just over $500 out of pocket. They have a complete AUTB collision program, ICAR certified. I had to pay a $250 lab fee, which included paint and material, and buy the needed parts. Parts needed included a reconditioned bumper cover from Keystone, and new foam, tailight, and new fasteners etc. from Honda. It was hit the same way, although not as much damage on the qtr but the crash zone on the "frame" was folded and the car required a pull. The school has a state of the art shop, including a frame machine and did great work. They were able to repair the qtr and the truck lid, which had appeared to be sprung but once it was pulled the trunk lid worked fine and had no damage.The downside is you can't be in a hurry.

Looks like this one will need a qtr for sure.

The damage estimate I had on the Honda was $3200 at a shop and the guy also offered to buy the car outright for $1200. :)

MARTINSR
06-12-2009, 08:46 AM
This is not the car for you.

Listen, "totals" are a great way to go, SOMETIMES. Some cars are deemed a "total loss" for a ridiculasly small amount of damage, THOSE are the "totals" to buy.

What is a "total loss"?

A car that has damage that repairs exceed a preset threshold. That threshold could be "Low blue book" or a portion of high book or a number of other things.

It is set by the insurance company who is insuring it.

The KILLER "Total loss" cars to buy for personal use are low value cars. OH MY GOD, I have seen SUPER nice condition cars with only a tiny bit of damage leave on the hook to the "recyclers", "totaled". It makes me sick how such little damage can total a car.

I see cars like a Ford Focus or something that with one week end of work by most anyone and the car is back on the road repaired.

THIS Subaru is NOT one of those cars.

The point is, you buy a total because it is a "special" total, NOT because it is a special "Car". If you buy a total because it is the car you want, you are SCREWED before you begin.

Believe me, I just watched a car leave the yard the other day that I have been looking for, a Jeep Wrangler. This thing was the color I want, it was SPOTLESS other than the damage. It didn't have so much a gum rapper laying on the floor inside, or a chip in the paint, it was like NEW.

But it was damaged a little too much, just a little too much, VERY repairable, but just a little too much to make it worth it.

That Subaru was hit hard, it needs the quarter as well as the rear body panel, trunk floor extension (I think), deck lid, hinges, bumper and reinforcement and left foam, the roof rail is buckled you will see up above the door. This thing is hit HARD.

It will take pulling, removing the quarter, massaging a bunch of metal into place and then fitting the new and rear body panel. It is a VERY tough repair.

I suggest you go on looking for another car.

Brian

Phil V
06-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Why are people even responding to this thread about the Suburu WRX ???
The original message was posted 2 years ago and I'm sure that Suburu ended up in the bone yard and was parted out a long time ago.

MARTINSR
06-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Well, I can't speak for anyone else. I am just to stupid to read the date. :D

Brian

style
06-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Why are people even responding to this thread about the Suburu WRX ???
The original message was posted 2 years ago and I'm sure that Suburu ended up in the bone yard and was parted out a long time ago.

i was just looking through old threads an came accross it,had one last week just like it saw that philv valued the damage at like 4k now to fix that here in my area would cost 500bucks,thats why i said wow,how times have changed that panel was at least 1200bucks back then and here i just sold a whole car for 300...

SStampede
06-15-2009, 08:51 AM
What did you sell for $300.00?

Thanks.

style
06-15-2009, 12:18 PM
What did you sell for $300.00?

Thanks.

04 wrx 81kmiles hit right front suspension and door motor and stuff ok,also today just got an 06 sti that sold last week for 18k kid rolled it car needs roof doors right fender and hood clean title bought it back for 800.00..

watch out ebay and car fax..