PDA

View Full Version : Source for sheet metal?

TheCoatingStore.com

Jake
05-18-2007, 09:16 PM
I worked in a steel shop for 30 years and used to get my 20 gauge for 6cents a pound. That place closed five years ago and I have ran out. I checked a local metal recycler today and they are out of their gords. They wanted $100 for two pieces 16x48. Anyone know of any online sources to buy it?

dixie1776
05-18-2007, 10:21 PM
i believe that you may have trouble finding it online as shipping would be a problem. why not buy a sheet 48" x 120" ? it cost roughly $100 here( i usually use 18 guage which is $120 here for a sheet 4 x 10)

Jake
05-19-2007, 08:58 AM
I would gladly pay the $100 for a full sheet. Like I said in my previous post, they wanted $100 for 2 pieces, 16x48. In the old days of the shop (a place called Barber Greene) they would get mad at us and not let us buy from them. If we went to the local recycler where all there scrap went, they would charge an arm and a leg. We would make it a point to cut all of our drops to tiny pieces so the rip offfs could not resell it for anything but scrap.

Len
05-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Many welding supply businesses will carry a full supply of standard metal bars, tubes, sheets and everything else you may need. Look in your local Yellow Pages and call welding suppliers in your area for prices.

Roch_Greg
05-19-2007, 10:33 AM
i believe that you may have trouble finding it online as shipping would be a problem. why not buy a sheet 48" x 120" ? it cost roughly $100 here( i usually use 18 guage which is $120 here for a sheet 4 x 10)

There are a few places you can buy sheet metal/bars of any type and size on-line.

1) Speedy Metals (http://www.speedymetals.com/default.aspx)

2) McMaster Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/) look under "Raw Materials" -->"Metals"

I actually more than that whlist searching the 'net. I have two Scrap Metal Suppliers that my company does business with that are near to the plant. So I can just drive over and tell them what I want or pick it out and I'm all set.

Got me 2 4' x 8' sheets of hot rolled 20 guage the first time for $20.00 then a 6" x 24" sheet of .064 C110 Copper for makes heat spoons for $30.00 the last time.

All that being said however, the price of all metals has gone through the roof over the past several years due to the continuing wars overseas and the building boom's in residential and commerial real estate both here at home and in developing countries.

They use all different types of metals at the plant both in the manufacturing process and for various projects and the Purchasing Manager was showing me the historical spread sheets of what he's been paying over the years and it's an arrow pointing up exponentially.

That price you got may be the going rate. Such as it is?

Greg

Jake
05-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Thanks for all the replys. I may end up paying a million for it but it won't be at the local place. LOL Here is the place where I have bought some stuff. Their prices are great and shipping is not bad at all. I bought two pieces of 18ga from them that was 17x59" for about $12 and shipping was another 15. Way less than half what the local shysters wanted. Only problem is they don't have 20ga except in stainless. Check them out if you need something. http://cgi.ebay.com/1-COLD-ROLL-STEEL-SHEET-PIECE-18GA-18-x-58-NEW_W0QQitemZ330120369754QQihZ014QQcategoryZ92087Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Roch_Greg
05-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Super find there Jake. SYRACUSE, NY is just one city down from me on the Thruway (about 20 min's drive) I'll have to keep them in mind.

Greg