PDA

View Full Version : 2005 dodge 2500???

bsgoosepimp111
05-01-2007, 03:44 PM
hey guys, well my dads friends wife backed his truck into a tree, screwed up the tailgate and put a baseball size dent right above the tail light. a ford dealership wrote an estimate for like $7000 or $8000. the way it "sounds" is hes going to be getting a tailgate from a junkyard, then i was thinking if it didnt like shift the structure of the box, i could take the tail light off and pound it out, put some body filler on there, filling prime it, block it out, and then repaint the whole one side of the box. what do you guys think of my plan here? that is if the box isnt shifted and its just a dent, then i would repaint the tailgate and side on box.
thanks
andrew

Chris L
05-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Look over the estimate.If they wrote an 8,000$ estimate,there is more damage than a tailgate and bedside dent/repaint.

bsgoosepimp111
05-01-2007, 07:18 PM
thats what i thought too, but then again, the shop would probably just weld a new quarter panel in there and then repaint the whole side, and included in the estimate was a brand new tailgate. i was told there was a baseball size dent above the tail light about 1 inch deep. but i thought if i were to remove the tail light there would be pleanty room to work. i havent seen it myself, so i told my dad dont tell him anything till i can go and see it for myself. i thought that if he got a tailgate from a junyard, at lest put that on and see if it still closes to see if the box is shifted or anything and take some emasurements, and if its only the dent, then take it out, body filler, filling prime, block out, and paint.
andrew

95bodyman
05-01-2007, 08:01 PM
There has to be hidden damage for an estimate that pricey.

Frame damage?

Did the corner of the bed hit the cab?

Was the floor of the bed damaged?

Expensive decals?

If this shop wrote an $8000 estimate for a tailgate and a dent then they should be reported.

bsgoosepimp111
05-01-2007, 09:54 PM
thats what i was thinking, i think hes just going to go through his insurance company but i thought i would see if i could maybe fix it. and i tlaked to my auto body teacher and he said he thinks the shop would probably weld a new quarter panel in, and replace a new tailgate for that. thanks guys
andrew

SHOWCAR FINISH
05-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Post up the work order if you can. That outta be entertaining.