PDA

View Full Version : Floor brace repair - suggestions needed

TheCoatingStore.com

Nostalgic Dave
04-28-2007, 02:14 AM
I am in the early stages of restoring a '60 Impala. I'll be taking the body off the frame and mounting it on a Rotisserie. Major problem though! The rear most body mounts are on a boxed cross brace at the rear of the trunk floor, which is a commonly rusted area on these cars. Naturally, this brace is rotted out pretty good on my car. Any recommendations on how to fix this? I have to fix it first before the body goes on the rotisserie obviously.

http://www.60impala.com/arc/RearTrunkBrace-Rusted.jpg

CDJr
04-28-2007, 06:01 AM
More pics would help. Can ya buy that brace? Just guessing, youll need more than just the brace though. Im sure someone more knowledgeable on Impalas will chime in soon too ;)

Ron H
04-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Hey Dave, is that part being reproduced? Regards Ron

Nostalgic Dave
04-30-2007, 01:27 PM
No, this piece is not being reproduced which is kinda odd. More pics won't really show anything different... the brace is just a U shape with flanges spot welded to the floor pan.

Ron H
04-30-2007, 03:33 PM
It surprises me those are not reproduced. I have three for my car (just the ends) along with inner and outer rockers. If they are not reprod, you might be able to find one in a salvage yard. There is one north of Dallas named CTC Autoranch. There is another Hidden Valley auto ranck in Arizona, they both have a web sight. I also know of one more just south of Temple on 190W at Belton. I can't remember the name of right now.
However if it were me, I would go to chevytalk.com and ask someone in the appropriate impala forum to verify that part is not reproduced. They may also know of a floor brace for another car that will work or can be modified. Regards Ron

Nostalgic Dave
05-01-2007, 02:52 AM
Thanks Ron. I hang out at the Chevytalk.com forum regularly and have already asked over there but so far have not received any useful advice. I actually have a parts car with what appears to be a decent brace in it... I need to inspect it closer. It would be a huge pain to remove it. I guess I could just cut out from the top down. I'll probably end up doing this the more I think about it. It's probably the "right" way to do the repair. I have studied what the aftermarket has to offer for the '59-'60 cars pretty closely, and these years seem to be somewhat neglected. The brace in question is available for '61-'64, but is unfortunately different than the '59-'60. Eventually the aftermarket will catch up I'm sure.

buildin64
05-01-2007, 05:14 AM
Two thoughts.

This brace maybe common with another GM product of that vintage. Maybe a Pontiac or Olds or Buick of those same years. If it is common that opens up allot more possibilities of finding a replacement from a salvage yard.

Second you could purchase the same gauge steel and cut out the pieces and weld it together. Looks like you would have 5 major pieces, the 2 weld flanges, the 2 vertical walls and the lower. Of course you will have to shape the horizontal lower piece to the 2 vertical walls, but once you have the shape of the verticals that shouldnt be that big of a deal. Also with this method you will not have the radius that is in the original part where the walls come together, but the original had the radius because it is a stamped part and you need the radius so the metal flows in the die. This part is under the car and probably hidden from site anyways if appearance is an issue for you.