PDA

View Full Version : advice on flange tool

TheCoatingStore.com

Hurst
04-17-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm looking to purchase a flanger soon and wanted to get yalls opinions. Eastwood has several different styles and I've never worked with one before. I think I'm leaning towards the flanger/punch.

http://eastwood.resultspage.com/auto/flanger

Len
04-17-2007, 09:26 AM
You'll notice that the same model that Eastwood is selling for $129 we sell for $79.50

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/ap600st8.jpg
Link (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AP600ST8&Category_Code=)

dave_demented
04-17-2007, 01:38 PM
ive got a flanger for my air chisel... noisey as hell, but works great

AlexeiVT
04-17-2007, 04:32 PM
I've never used the pneumatic version...but so long as you're willing to invest, then the added convenience of having something that can punch nice clean burr free holes, certainly has its place.

A while back, I purchased one of the hand flangers from Eastwood...I know it should've been obvious from looking at it, but considering that all it is is a pair of Vice Grips w/ some steel welded to the end w/ a bevel ground out, I felt it cost too much for what it was.

And to boot, I didn't actually care for the lap that it left. I figured, by that point, if I was going through the effort of restoring a car, that it wasn't that much extra effort in the sum of things, to just make a pair of my own...so that's what I did, and I made it such that I like the lap that it creates, much tighter and the step is steeper, so I don't have such a large valley to fill.

One tool I did get, that I liked and came in handy, was the Roll-A-Step tool. You can wrench it along by hand or w/ an air tool, but the main benefit was that you could easily put in a curved step for a lap joint, and if you plan your cuts accordingly, can make for some cleaner panel installs and easily retain more of the original sheet metal (w/ a straight step tool, your pretty much go in a straight line, and every impression doesn't necessarily match up as nicely as a continuously rolled bead does...no matter, in the end, a bit of finishing is likely the call either way). Also, w/ a straight step, you inevitably get create a corner that you can't flatten and mate on the outside edge of the other step it meets, w/ a curve you eliminate that).

Anyway...in the end, by the time you've made your steps, and hung your quarters etc...you'll be moving on to butt welds w/out a backing in no time.

Serge
04-17-2007, 05:21 PM
You will find the same or equivalent products here at much better prices and you will get expert advice to boot...

I don't know why so many shop there. They actually sell many items over the published LIST prices. For the longest time it was the only place, now its the tourist trap of the car hobby...

I have this punch/flange unit and use mostly the punch side for plug welds. It makes a clean burr free hole...I don't flange much anymore...

ZRX61
04-17-2007, 11:39 PM
You will find the same or equivalent products here at much better prices and you will get expert advice to boot...

I don't know why so many shop there. They actually sell many items over the published LIST prices. For the longest time it was the only place, now its the tourist trap of the car hobby...

I have this punch/flange unit and use mostly the punch side for plug welds. It makes a clean burr free hole...I don't flange much anymore...
A lot of Eastwoods stuff is Harbor Freight junk with a 400-800% mark up..

shoddy_f-body
04-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Len do you sell the tool with the 8mm (5/16) punch? Most I see are the 3/16 version.