PDA

View Full Version : HELP with metal fabrication cost.

TheCoatingStore.com

nickp
04-16-2007, 04:12 PM
All,

I have a piece of rusty sheet metal (about 11 in. by 6in. ) from my '69 camaro ( outer rear fender housing) that needs replaced. the rest of the outer fender is in great shape. only the extension tip is a mess. I cut the piece off and was intending on getting some quotes to have a shop recreate it as close as possible.

Question : What kind of cost am I looking at? I can get the entire stamped sheet metal for 55 bucks (locally-Dallas area) and cut the tip of and use it.

Is it possible to get a shop under this price or should I just buy the entire piece and use what I need? one guy quoted me 110 bucks and said it would take 4 hours. i think he's breathing some serious weld fumes??

thanks for the help from you metal shapers out there!!

Nick p.

Barry
04-16-2007, 06:20 PM
are you talking about the "outer wheelhouse"?

Serge
04-16-2007, 06:28 PM
At 55 bucks that won't even buy you two hours of fabrication...

pbrown
04-16-2007, 08:57 PM
I just saw this done on a 68 Camaro a few weeks ago. Get the replacement panel to start off with. It will be cheaper than fabricating from scratch. I remember it taking a full day to do both sided front and rear (four patches) with the raplacement panels. I can ask the shop owner what the final bill was on that car if you want.

nickp
04-17-2007, 04:37 PM
thanks guys..thats exactly what I thought..

the outer wheel house has that lower lip at the rear and I'll just buy the entire thing and cut what I need. Heck..its local and I wont spend any shipping costs either.

I just thought (initially) I could get it done relatively cheap..Obviously the 55 bucks for the stamped metal is the way to go.

thanks again!

dixie1776
04-18-2007, 12:25 AM
yeah, fabrication and under 55 bucks don't go together at all-- 60 hr. at the least for any fab from scratch.