PDA

View Full Version : Picklex over Body Filler?

TheCoatingStore.com

Richrom
04-16-2007, 03:53 AM
Recently stumbled onto this forum, and wow, what a great place to be. :D

I am just starting to work on a project Mustang that I will be doing much of the prep work on. The car is already completely primed and ready for blocking. I am working on the engine bay and need to clean up a whole bunch of stuff in there.

After reading many threads, it seems good to use Picklex for much of the metal work that I will be stripping the old paint and minor rust from. I know there is some filler in some of the areas to be stripped, and I might get some of the Picklex on the filler when applying to the metal.

Question:
Is it ok to get some of the Picklex on top of body filler?
Same question for any primer that is already on the car that will not be stripped.

I know to check for rust near or under the filler and will deal with such if I find any. Mostly I want to know how careful I have to be with the Picklex.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback,
-Rich

Len
04-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Hi Rich, welcome aboard.

I don't like putting this particular product (Picklex 20) over anything but bare or rusted metal. It tends to leave a film on other types of surfaces and it may cause the paint to not bond well with the surface.

When we have a metal surface that is partially covered with paint or filler we usually will pour the Picklex into a cup and apply it with a brush so that it doesn't get on anything but the metal. If we do get it on the paint we wipe it off with a damp cloth.

Richrom
04-17-2007, 12:25 AM
Len,

Thanks for the info.

-Rich