PDA

View Full Version : Lead crack repair

TheCoatingStore.com

copasspupil
02-05-2006, 08:01 PM
Can anyone explain to me exactly how to repair lead cracks which are on my 1966 mustang? I pretty much have cracks all over the car and have installed subframe support to stop the flexing on the car before the repaint started. I have sanded down the car, but I need to repair some sheet metal and these nasty cracks.

Do you remove the lead and apply something in its place or just reheat the lead and form it? If you remove it, what product is the best to use? I have a Miller 180 tig if I need to attach the sheet metal again.

Any helps would be great,

Restoguy
02-06-2006, 12:17 AM
The old lead has to go. Most will not consider reusing it now a days. For many good reasons. I most likely would reuse it because it is prety near impossible to get al of the lead off the original metal. No other reason. Others will surely chime in with their experiences in using bondo in what was once lead. No matter which is used both will crack if the joint is not stabilized.

Len
02-06-2006, 09:44 AM
If it were in our shop we would remove the lead using heat, wire brush and a surface prep disk or sandpaper then make sure the joint is stable and use body filler in place of the lead.

If the paint is cracking in other areas it's most likely because of the paint or primer and should be stripped to the metal.

Phil V
02-06-2006, 10:52 AM
I agree with Len. One other point is that if you have cracking all over your car then I can assure you most of its not because of lead. The only places that Mustang should have lead in it is in the windshield pillars at the top corners where the roof skin is welded to the windshield pillars. The only other place is in the sail panel area where the upper part of the quarter panel is welded to the rear part of the roof skin.

copasspupil
02-07-2006, 09:39 PM
That's exactly where they are. There is one more location but I found bondo like material there.

Should I stabilize it with my tig and place a bead on each location or something else?

Thanks again for replying

Len
02-07-2006, 11:46 PM
After you remove the lead I think you'll find that the joint is probably ok but if it looks like it's cracked or weak you could do some welding to add strength. However, if it's not broke don't fix it, just remove the lead clean and grind the metal and replace the lead with filler.

copasspupil
02-13-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks Len