PDA

View Full Version : For the old farts out there

Phil V
03-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Do you guys remember "Black Magic" filler ? (circa late 1960's). That was some nasty filler to work with. Plugged up the sandpaper like you were sanding hard wax. Felt oily or greasy even when done sanding. I'm trying to remember what the original Bondo brand bondo was like.

AlexeiVT
03-13-2007, 09:08 PM
I'm not quite an old-timer ye...but I always feel compelled to share the can on plastic filler from yester-year whenever I see a thread on this.

So, I finally went down to garage, dug up the can, and opened it up to see what was inside. My parents purchased their house over 30 years ago, and the decade prior to that, it was owned by someone who owned a local auto garage.

I get a kick out of the label, since it crudely depicts some pretty archaic honking looking unappealing block 70's ish style cars.

The label is a little rough after the years, but as far as I can tell, it's Double A brand (Automotive Associates) "Famous across the Nation".

It's black as coal (and now hard as a rock...proving that hardener only speeds up the reaction, but if you have a few decades on hand, the repair may firm up on it's own).

Some interesting findings on the label...specs call to rough up the metal w/ 16 grit paper, drill holes every inch or so, and not to build over 1/2" thickness (no typo)...kind of crazy, considering that what we have today is better, and optimally used less sparingly.

I'll upload pics if I can.

Mooch
03-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Do you guys remember "Black Magic" filler ? (circa late 1960's). That was some nasty filler to work with. Plugged up the sandpaper like you were sanding hard wax. Felt oily or greasy even when done sanding. I'm trying to remember what the original Bondo brand bondo was like.

I used a ton of the orginal Bondo .And to me it was a lot like the Bondo you can buy now in the red can. I found it easy to work with way back when.

I no longer use it but I do use the new Bondo Ultimate light a lot. I think the biggest difference is the newer Bondo is creamier and I have no problem with pin holes. Now that is thinking back a long time .

Mooch :)

JeffsCustomPaint
03-13-2007, 11:47 PM
just a comment on the application procedure stated above.
if your restoring a car never drill holes in the metal to apply the filler.
Bodyfiller is like a sponge and when you drill holes the filler goes thru to the other side.Yes,it helps hold the filler to the car but it also premotes rust.
the filler can absorb moisture like a sponge and that in turn will attack the metal and cause it to rust so to me thats the last thing you want to do.
todays filler stick very well and i like to use the minimum amount possible
and get my metal as straight as i can.

i don't remember that filler called black magic but compared to todays fillers
all the old stuff was junk.very hard to sand or had alot of pinholes.
i like todays lightweight fillers. I uses Z-Grip filler cause it doesn't pinhole alot
and it spreads on smooth and easy to sand and doesn't clog the paper
like some fillers seem to do when you sand of the top layer.providing you mix
it right.

Phil V
03-14-2007, 12:45 AM
I'd forgotten about how bad that "Black Magic" body filler always had a serious case of pin hole-itus. A little worse than the current Duraglas, Everglas, Bondoglas etc

Len, What brand of fillers did you use when you started out in bodywork ? Remember "White Lightening" body filler ?(I think that was from the '70's).

knotheads
10-13-2007, 12:58 AM

i used black magic on the first body work i ever did...1957 chevy i applied the filler and ran out of day light...the next day that stuff had set up so hard i couldnt even sand it . i ended up in defeat just primering over the sort of shaped repairs.

Len
10-13-2007, 06:52 AM
I remember using Clawson for years, boy that stuff was hard. We would put it on real thick then grind it off generating a cloud of dust that you couldn't see through. It was years before we discovered the cheese grater blade and more years before lighter, easier to sand filler came along.

56Ford
10-13-2007, 09:59 PM
Even tho I'm not an old fart......

I run across Black Magic all the time in the cars I restore.

A '37 Chrysler I worked on had that crap around all the fender beads...
and the '55 Ford, '35 Ford, '56 Pontiac etc etc.... I'm assuming it was very old repair work. Dicussing it with a friend of mine who has been in the business for 50 years- he told me, "That's the old Black Magic sh**"

I think he still has a can of it... along with Liquid Ebony, Dupont Duco etc...

bondomerchant
10-17-2007, 09:44 PM
what was with the astronaught on the cans of microlight??:) :)

TimG
10-17-2007, 10:52 PM
what was with the astronaught on the cans of microlight??:) :)
"Space age Microspheres".......
Anyone else remember White Knight?
Like sanding concrete!

SHOWCAR FINISH
10-18-2007, 12:20 AM
alot of the old guys tell me to watch out for my shoulders but know it seems like half of it was due to the filler they were sanding.

Sid
10-18-2007, 06:46 AM
I remember Cuz and used alot of White Lightning, and Cromate

SamG
10-18-2007, 03:27 PM
My first was "GOLD BOND"...I probably went through enough gallons of that to build a swimming pool. But what I remember being so hard to sand was the old DuPont filler...don't remember a number or specific name...just that I learned to never let it sit overnight before sanding.

When 'Tack Free' first came out I thought I'd gone to heaven.

BTW, the prices for RAGE have gone through the roof around here (Alabama)...is it happening everywhere?

SamG

SHOWCAR FINISH
10-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Hey, you guys still do use gold bond. But now it's for your dentures.:p

Rage is around $30 a gallon up here. A couple more dollars for extreme, which is well worth it.

bondomerchant
10-19-2007, 11:11 PM
ive been paying around 40 for the extreme!! it doesnt stack worth a shit on the ugly jobs!! but is nice to sand!!

Len
10-19-2007, 11:39 PM
ive been paying around 40 for the extreme!! it doesnt stack worth a shit on the ugly jobs!! but is nice to sand!!

I really like Rage Extreme for finishing the work but we use Rage Gold to do most of the filling. The Gold fills fast and sands well and the Extreme spreads smoothly and also sands well.

At this time I sell the Gold for $36.50 and the Extreme for $39.95

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/e120.jpg
LINK (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=E120&Category_Code=FM)

SHOWCAR FINISH
10-20-2007, 12:21 AM
That's a good point. It seems like a great idea to use it as you would a poly putty considering how expensive poly putty is.

which makes me think... how well does it adhere to painted surfaces, like past the feather?

shoddy_f-body
12-07-2007, 10:10 PM
I have an old can of Bondo i bought at a yard sale.It has to be real old.Not sure when it came out but judgeing by the logo and writing on the can it has to be from the 60's. I never planned to use it.I collect vintage signs and cans so i thought it was really cool.

Len
12-07-2007, 11:34 PM
I have an old can of Bondo i bought at a yard sale.It has to be real old.Not sure when it came out but judgeing by the logo and writing on the can it has to be from the 60's. I never planned to use it.I collect vintage signs and cans so i thought it was really cool.

Can you send me a picture or post it on the site?

shoddy_f-body
12-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Maybe 70's??
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a214/shoddy_f-body/DSCF0004.jpg?t=1197131845

proshadetree
12-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Thats the oldest can of bondo ive ever seen.I remember when dad used to put that stuff on in the 70's and his didnt look like that.I wonder if it gummed up in the can:confused:

Phil V
12-08-2007, 10:12 PM
The first time I used filler was in 1970. It was jet black and it believe it was called Black Magic. Sanded hard as a brick and gummed up the sandpaper bad.
Used it to fill in a dent on gas tank of a chopper motorcycle I was building. turned out to be a decent bike.

Lost in NJ
12-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Back in the very early 80's I was in my first or second year of high school. One of the seniors had a 57 Chevy. The talk of the day was how the kid pulled up in his car and parked and most of the right quarter panel fell off.

That side had accident damage and he just bondoed to shape. A couple of inches is fine, right?

A little before everyone had a camera phone or I am sure the air wave would have been clogged with a picture being sent around.

Mooch
12-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I used Bondo in 1959 and it was in a red and white can . I know my pop used it before i did .

I sent an email to bondo asking them when it first came out and the color of the can. They said 1954 was the first year and they believe the cans were red and white also .

Mooch :headphone

RB64
04-18-2011, 04:11 PM
Black Magic Body filler was developed by Swiss Laboratories of Cleveland. They later developed Snowhite body filler to compete with Bondo. When the company was acquired in 1969 it basically phased out Black Magic and only kept it as a token product mainly for the novice. After about 1971 Black Magic was actually Snowhite with a black pigment and really a better product than previous years. Black Magic was used mainly in Patch Kits for the value of its name. The company worked hard to make Snowhite their prime body shop product. I was an employee in those years.

MARTINSR
04-19-2011, 02:51 PM
I spread a LOT of Ditzler "999". When I chopped the top on my truck in 74 I put two gallons on the roof before I even sanded it!

Brian

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa167/BasicsofBasics/Truckinprimerfront.jpg

wannabebodyman
04-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Does anyone remember white tiger body filler?