PDA

View Full Version : sandpaper marks in base coat

TheCoatingStore.com

joeg
03-12-2007, 09:02 PM
after what i thought was careful prep work i noticed on the bottom of my pass door i had some paper scratches that two coats of dupont chrma color did not fill ,nor did i expect it too.what is the proper way to fix this thanks

Phil V
03-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Did you clearcoat the base with the sand marks in it ? Or did you stop when you saw the sand marks before clearcoating ?

isprayum
03-12-2007, 10:48 PM
if its still just base, just knock em down with 800-1200 dry or wet. turn the psi down a bit to fill it in.

Serge
03-13-2007, 07:54 AM
You sometimes see the 400 scratch through basecoat, especially when you did not use a sealer. The sealers usually fill those scratches right in...but its a question of measure. The 400 or 320 scratch you can still see in a black basecoat for example will disapear with clear but a stray scratch from a coarser grit may not.

You should never try to fill in scratches with basecoat, its not made to fill anything. In fact it's made to be real thin and will not hide any imperfection...

So it could be ok...but it's a question of measure and experience. What color is the car? Did you use a sealer? What grit did you finish sand the car with?

joeg
03-13-2007, 03:18 PM
i did not put the clear on yet and i did not use a sealer .i used trans star primer and the base is lucien blue or medium blue.i wet sanded the primer with 600.

Phil V
03-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Joe, sanding that primer with 600 grit should definately have been fine enough sandpaper for finish sanding prior to the basecoat. By now you are probably outside of your wet on wet time window so lightly wetsand it again with 600 grit and reapply some more basecoat. It sounds to me like you possibly might be seeing problems where there are none. Its easy to do if you're not famililar with the materials you're spraying. Most of the time you will see fine sand scratches in the basecoat after its flashed and prior to clearcoating. With 600 finish sanding those fine scratches visible in the basecoat will disappear when you spray the clearcoat. One way to prove it to yourself before spraying the clearcoat is spray or wipe a little water on a small area of the basecoat. Those fine scratches should disappear when you wet down a spot with water. If those fine sand scratches do disappear (as I suspect they will) then dry the area and shoot the clearcoat.

joeg
03-17-2007, 10:39 AM
i ended up wet sanding the marks and added a light coat of poly filler and sanded again i then put on twoo coats of base and everything is fine now.thanks for the info

style
11-02-2019, 08:21 AM
i ended up wet sanding the marks and added a light coat of poly filler and sanded again i then put on twoo coats of base and everything is fine now.thanks for the info

Glad to hear it all worked out,post some pics of it finished..