PDA

View Full Version : epoxy primer vs. etching primer

vannmann
03-06-2007, 04:51 PM
I have only used self etching primer on bare metal preps, a friend tells me that epoxy primer is the ultimate to seal out rust...while a guy at my supplier says self etching is better because it actually converts the top layer of metal.

I am in process of DA sanding my quarter panels on my chevelle and want the best process to keep it rust free once painted. The car will not be moved after priming and will remain in the shop with no exposure to the elements prior to bc/cc....any input would be appreciated.

SHOWCAR FINISH
03-06-2007, 05:30 PM
I imagine knowing if this is production or your own car is probably good to know. I was wondering about that too actually.

It sounds like some guys just use epoxy and go straight to paint if there's not a lot of contrast in color. I'm not sure if I'd do that yet till I hear more though.

dave_demented
03-06-2007, 05:49 PM
i would say go with the epoxy, i feel it is much better than self etching. for one, you cant typically use self etching over filler because the can eat at it. also, when your done spraying your high build 2k primer, you can hit it with some reduced epoxy to act as a sealer and paint right over that as long as your still within the recoat window.

klandor
03-06-2007, 07:23 PM
If you are taking those quarter panels to bare metal you can use etch prime and go over that with epoxy. or just epoxy, orrrr just self etch. what ever way you decide to go,follow that up with a good 2k surfacer. I hope this Helps.

Len
03-06-2007, 08:16 PM
I have only used self etching primer on bare metal preps, a friend tells me that epoxy primer is the ultimate to seal out rust...while a guy at my supplier says self etching is better because it actually converts the top layer of metal.

I am in process of DA sanding my quarter panels on my chevelle and want the best process to keep it rust free once painted. The car will not be moved after priming and will remain in the shop with no exposure to the elements prior to bc/cc....any input would be appreciated.

You can use either epoxy or etch to prime clean bare metal. I usually recommend epoxy because there are less variables but etch will also do a good job. As long as you follow the primer with a good quality paint you shouldn't have any problems with rust no matter which primer you use. I do recommend that you use primers recommended by your top coat paint manufacturer in order to help eliminate any compatibility issues.

vannmann
03-07-2007, 07:34 PM
OK, its one of my own personal cars this time, so I want to do it as right as can be. After reading about the piclex rust inhibiter I think I am going to treat the bare metal with that, then epoxy over it , then hit it with my 2k high build primer. I am using a martin senour red bc and martin senour cc.
Now, my other question, should I buy a seperate gun to shoot the epoxy? Or, can I throw a 1.8 tip on my Devilbiss Plus and use that? Or, can the epoxy ruin the gun? I only ask because I LOVE this gun!!

Is it advisable to use the rust inhibitor first, then epoxy? Or, any other ideas? thanks guys.

Len
03-07-2007, 09:07 PM
You can use the Picklex 20 then the epoxy primer then the 2K just as you said. Apply the Picklex, work it in with a scuff pad then wipe off the excess and allow it to dry. Before applying epoxy primer I scuff the Picklex with 180 or 200.

You can use the Plus to apply your primer as long as you clean it carefully when you're finished priming. Primer tends to hang onto the inside surfaces of the gun more than paint and you usually need to brush it off as you squirt it with thinner in order to get it clean. Never soak the gun body in thinner it can ruin the seals, just squirt brush and squirt until it's clean then allow the gun to dry before reassembly. Lubricating the needle before insertion helps keep the gun action smooth.

klandor
03-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Basically , isn't self etch suppose to take the place of metal conditioners and eliminate that extra labor? why don't you just DA those Quaeters down good to Bare Metal ,give them 2 light to medium coats of self etch, followed by 2 coats of epoxy, followed by a good 2K .You will have the ultimate corrosion protection.

Phil V
03-08-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm not a big fan of self etch primer although I do use it occaisionally. My suggestion would be to go with a couple medium coats of epoxy primer over the bare metal. Since epoxy primers have built in rust inhibitors then its kind of a waste of time and materials to use self etch and epoxy on the same panel. They both do basically the same job only my experience is that epoxy does it better.

vannmann
03-11-2007, 04:04 PM
after treating the bare quarters with pickleX should I epoxy prime then use any filler...OR treat metal, use filler, then epoxy primer? thanks

dixie1776
03-12-2007, 10:49 PM
i would rough the area up again then apply filler, then epoxy. everyone tells me that epoxy is better, maybe one day i'll make a change.

vannmann
03-13-2007, 06:03 AM
I didnt know if roughing up or sanding the picklex prior to filler and epoxy would lower its rust prevention properties?

48builder
04-05-2007, 11:49 AM
I guess it is fine to apply the Picklex and then apply filler over it at a later date as long as you rough it up. Len seems to think that is fine. I would think that once the epoxy primer is on, the picklex has already done its job of protecting the metal and then the epoxy takes over. I'm going to try applying the primer as soon after doing the filler work as possible, to avoid any rust from forming where I may have sanded the Picklex off.

Walt