PDA

View Full Version : Soda Blasting

TheCoatingStore.com

GPCONV
03-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Anybody have any experience with soda blasting? I hear that it does not effect the metal the way sand does and is much easier clean up wise. Know of any suppliers or distributors to check pricing of the blasters and media?

SHOWCAR FINISH
03-01-2007, 12:50 PM
I hear it's good if you wanted to just take your topcoats off. Heard it's hard work to go to metal with them but are easier on your finish as you mentioned.

Len
03-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Anybody have any experience with soda blasting? I hear that it does not effect the metal the way sand does and is much easier clean up wise. Know of any suppliers or distributors to check pricing of the blasters and media?

Actually we found that clean up after soda blasting was much more difficult than with other media. That powder gets into and between everything and never seems to stop coming out. After soda blasting you will need to sand or somehow give the metal some texture to better hold the primer and paint. We've done just about all types of stripping and find that plastic media is best but the metal still needs to be either etched or sanded. We now use a Makita sander/polisher with sandpaper to remove paint and find we can strip most cars in less than a day for much less expense than farming out our plastic media blasting. We never went back to soda after our initial experience.

studebaker
03-02-2007, 05:36 AM
Actually we found that clean up after soda blasting was much more difficult than with other media. That powder gets into and between everything and never seems to stop coming out. After soda blasting you will need to sand or somehow give the metal some texture to better hold the primer and paint. We've done just about all types of stripping and find that plastic media is best but the metal still needs to be either etched or sanded. We now use a Makita sander/polisher with sandpaper to remove paint and find we can strip most cars in less than a day for much less expense than farming out our plastic media blasting. We never went back to soda after our initial experience.

Len, what size, kind and grit paper do you use?

Len
03-02-2007, 05:54 AM
Len, what size, kind and grit paper do you use?
I use the "Strippping Combo" with my variable speed Makita. I can do an entire car in 8 to 12 hours depending on it's size and how many coats of paint it has on it. On the areas where the sanding disk won't reach I use chemical stripper or a small blaster.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/Ferro-Norton.jpg
Stripping Tools Link (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=SPAR)

GPCONV
03-02-2007, 01:38 PM
I want to clean up my seat springs/frames before I recover them (they have some surface rust) and though the soda might be a good option considering it won't heat up the spings and make them unspringy. Any other ideas for this? POR15?

Kent
03-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Has anyone looked into something called dry ice blasting to remove paint?

studebaker
03-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Has anyone looked into something called dry ice blasting to remove paint?
http://www.diamonddryiceblasting.com/cleaner.html

Interesting but I bet it's not cheap! Looks like it would only do painted surface.