PDA

View Full Version : Paint Preferences Poll

TheCoatingStore.com

Stangever
02-05-2007, 10:01 PM
I would like to known your paint preferences and why. This question is for all who wish to respond. So let me know what you think and why? The brand is not important at this time.

Also, why you prefer oem paint for classic or a total change. My 70 Mach1 is oem yellow (ppg code D)Acrylic Enamel. Will changing the color hurt or help the value? I'm thinkin something metallic.

Thanks to all in advance.

Stangever

Phil V
02-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Stangever, The end result of your poll would show that 99% of the people will choose acrylic urethane basecoat/clearcoat --- because its better all the way around compared to the other paints you listed.

If your Mustang was OEM yellow then it would have the original factory yellow paint. Which was not acrylic enamel, it was referred to as a "baking enamel" and was available ONLY to the factories and is not now nor was it ever available as an aftermarket paint. That factory baking enamel required an oven that got REALLY HOT in order to reflow the paint and harden to a porcelin type paint. It was actually good paint (compared to GMs lacquer).

If you change the color of your Mustang you will significantly diminish the future resale value of the car (assuming the car is a nice collector type Mustang). It woudn't have much effect on the resale if you changed color on a plain Jane 70 Mustang coup.

Stangever
02-06-2007, 12:19 AM
Len, You are absolutely right about the bake enamel, I stand corrected. I quess I looking for something just as durable. Yeah, the orignal is very hard. I wash off the top coat of paint with acetone.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/stang4ever/img020WC.jpg,http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/stang4ever/4845690-R1-011-4.jpg

She has Been off the road since 1983. Has 83,000m. The sanded areas are from 24 years of storage hear and there, in the california desert, on a chicken farm(now a track house development).

Because I don't have the wind to do the marathon sanding, Ive decided to go with Clausen All-in one, once I finish breakng up that top coat. I'm using 320g and 400g.

Phil V
02-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Looks like a great project. I have never heard of "Clausen all in one" , what is it ?

AutobodyCAD
02-06-2007, 08:20 PM
It's supposed to be a one-size-fits-all primer. I haven't used it, but read about it over at autobody101.com forums.

IIRC:
DTM primer
high-build/sandable 2K
built-in guide coat (dries darker on the surface than underlying material)
reduceable for use as a sealer

Intriguing for sure.

Stangever
02-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Looks like a great project. I have never heard of "Clausen all in one" , what is it ?

================================================== =====
CLAUSEN ALL-U-NEED is a zinc enriched, self etching, one-step high build polyester primer-surfacer-sealer finishing system.
For use over bare metal, body filler, plastic, wood, aluminum, or fiberglass.
Resistant to penetration of moisture & most solvents.
High solids, low 2.01 V.O.C and is Isocyanate-free.
Compatible with Base/Clear, Urethane, & Acrylic Enamel Systems
Replaces Metal Prep's, etching primer's, & sealer's
Easy Sanding with wet or dry methods, Built-in guide coat.
================================================== ======
The Clausen folks told me "it can be use over oem paint if I sand it with 320 and 400 before applying the product". Says Tony a user and seller of the product somewhere in Tennessee, One of their customers. :D I figure the worst that can happen is that I have to hire someone to sand it all off and start over.:eek:

stangever