PDA

View Full Version : question

TheCoatingStore.com

tommyc
02-01-2007, 02:40 AM
hey...im new to the body work thing...im interested in buying a car...but it was in a front end collision....its a 1998 mitsubishi eclipse GS.....the owner is supplying a new hood bumper and fenders...but the driver side where the fender mounts on at the top is bent....also the portion where the radiator mounts up at the top is bent as well....would it be recommended to sraighten these portions or cut them out of another eclipse and weld them in? Its very thin metal....i think it is aluminum...the car is cheap and other than these 2 areas is in very good shape..i would prefer an email in response to this thread....my email is tommy_cornelison2000@yahoo.com..

Thank you

Phil V
02-01-2007, 02:45 AM
Tommy, there is no way anyone can advise you on that car either way without seeing a picture or two of the damage.

tommyc
02-01-2007, 03:01 AM
okay....ill get those on here as soon as possible...but until then do you have any suggestions?

Phil V
02-01-2007, 03:34 AM
Tommy, there is no way anyone can advise you on that car either way without seeing a picture or two of the damage.

tommyc
02-05-2007, 01:54 AM
for anyone who has worked on a 98 eclipse GS.....does it have a unibody or is the front clip removable....i am workin on gettin pics of the car but that was a thought that crossed my mind....thank you

Phil V
02-05-2007, 02:57 AM
Tommy, definately unibody construction. A true removable front clip type car hasn't existed in at least 20 years (generally speaking).

But the term can be confusing. You can buy a front clip for a unibody car. But you won't be able to just bolt that one piece front clip onto another car because the fender aprons and radiator support are welded in place and not bolted like a true removable front clip type car. In order to have a true removable front clip the car has to have a full frame separate from the body.

tommyc
02-06-2007, 02:23 AM
okay i have pictures....they aren't close ups because i couldn't get a hold of the land owner to get permission into the yard....i hope these give a general idea of the damage...i will work on getting better pictures as soon as i can....i appologize for the low quality of the pictures...i only have 2...this is the link http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u239/tommyc_2007/

Phil V
02-06-2007, 06:09 AM
sorry guy, those pictures don't help at all. Like "Johnny Five" said - "need more input".(robot from movie Short Circuit).

Henry
02-06-2007, 02:49 PM
okay i have pictures....they aren't close ups because i couldn't get a hold of the land owner to get permission into the yard....i hope these give a general idea of the damage...i will work on getting better pictures as soon as i can....i appologize for the low quality of the pictures...i only have 2...this is the link http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u239/tommyc_2007/
Have to see them when I get home but based on what Phil said, I doubt we can see much.
Let me just say that if the radiator support is bent and other parts under the fenders, then the front end needs to be pulled on a frame machines or other device depending on damage. Don't look at the hood, fenders and bumper cover or steel bumper under the cover. Look to what it all bolts to. The sheetmetal parts are only window dressing to distinguish you car from another.
Also, you cannot merely cut off bent sections and weld in new ones. Even when this is the plan, you still need to pull the old so good surrounding structure is straight again.
If you friend owned this car when it was hit then maybe he has the insurance estimate which you should read carefully. If he just bought the car this way, you need to know where it came from and LOOK AT THE PAPERWORK CLOSELY. The car may be stamped SALVAGE by the insurance company and this can lead you to inspections of various nature.
Take pictures of the car from all four corners before you tear anything apart.

If you NEVER did all this before, this may NOT be the time to start.
Get the history, get the facts and even pay a pro bodyman $50 to stop by and look the thing over and make a list for you. Let us know. Henry

tommyc
02-06-2007, 03:04 PM
well i can tell you only the front driver side and the radiator support is damaged....there is nothing wrong with the passenger side and from the doors back is in perfect condition. I have already talked to the owner and he said he would look at it for me. I won't buy it inless it has a clear title. I have also been thinkin of gettin a new front clip but was wonderin how would i go about gettin the old one off and how much it generally costs 2 have the frame pulled

Phil V
02-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Tommy, I definately agree with Henry. Before you do anything get a professional bodyman to look the car over for you. If it cost you $50 it may well save you many hundreds of dollars if the damage is worse than what appears to an untrained eye. One of the problems with buying wrecked cars like that is a novice will almost always "gloss over" potentially serious problems, which will come back to bite them in the ass later. Ask the owner of the car why HE didn't get the car fixed. Like Henry suggested - Ask the seller if he has any insurance estimates relating to the damaged front end. Getting a frame pulled starts at round $250 and could go as high as a couple thousand dollars depending on the extent of the damage. Most body/frame shops won't even let a car on their frame rack for less than $250 (which would in real life be a very simple 15 - 20 minute pull on the machine. In most cases it takes much longer to hook the anchor chains and set up the pull than it does to do the actual pulling.

Henry
02-06-2007, 11:47 PM
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!

The last thing you need is a twisted shock tower. Phil's cost of a frame machine is about right. They get around $300 or more around here to just set the car up BUT this gives you measurements you would have a hard time coming up with. The entire nose could be swayed to one side, shock tower damage and if anything got stuffed into the cowel just junk the car. A hit in the cowel area often twist the unibody which is a real pain to straighten.
Also, parts for this type car can be expensive. Did the front wheel take a hit? Stuffed back? Is it control arms, axle, trans cracked, steering, suspension, upper and lower left rail or sway in the right side rail? Many things you just cannot see. You should know you just don't replace bent unibody members back to where you THINK it's straight. Get an unbiased frame guy to look at this car. Let us know. Henry

tommyc
02-07-2007, 02:44 AM
okay i got one more picture but i don't think it is much more help.. it only shows the front and not the side or top

tommyc
02-07-2007, 11:45 AM
the front wheels look good...but like you said it might not be. we moved the car and it rolls very well. it all appears to be cosmtic but might not be

dixie1776
02-07-2007, 10:58 PM
tommy,
we need to see pics of passenger side hood allignment,under hood between radiator support and engine, behind engine- as well as both sides of it,frame rails, radiator support, and i strongly suggest that whoever u get to look at it, that they measure it out with a tram gauge to make sure that the front end is still in allignment(very doubtful from the previous pics)

Henry
02-09-2007, 09:29 AM
tommy,
we need to see pics of passenger side hood allignment,under hood between radiator support and engine, behind engine- as well as both sides of it,frame rails, radiator support, and i strongly suggest that whoever u get to look at it, that they measure it out with a tram gauge to make sure that the front end is still in allignment(very doubtful from the previous pics)
Below is a picture of a car smacked on the right side with the fenders (wallpaper) off so you can see the CAR and the DAMAGE.
Notice the parts in the front end that SHOULD be VERTICAL and look what angle they are on. This is what you could be facing. Notice where the bumper bolts which is over to the left a few inches.
Whenever you want to deal in wrecked cars, you need to strip them of their WALLPAPER so you can actually see the damage. Henry

http://images.copart.com/website/data/pix/20061103/11601796_8X.JPG?06:25:04

Phil V
02-09-2007, 12:09 PM
Henry, I'm thinking maybe this kid is just playing a game. If as he said he and the owner of the car moved the car around (after we told him he needed detailed pictures of the damage) then he had the opportunity to get the pictures needed. So I'm done until he shows clear detailed pictures of the damage.

tommyc
02-09-2007, 12:22 PM
phil to be honest with you i don't care if you believe me or not. We moved the car before i ever posted on here at all. So as far as i am concerned im done here if. I am not goin to deal with a bunch of know-it-all stuck-up jerks...goodbye

Henry
02-09-2007, 01:28 PM
phil to be honest with you i don't care if you believe me or not. We moved the car before i ever posted on here at all. So as far as i am concerned im done here if. I am not goin to deal with a bunch of know-it-all stuck-up jerks...goodbye
Before you go you should know that Phil, me and others are/were really trying to help you out. You shouldn't be so touchy. Also, not sure how many boards you visit but no one in the autobody section of this board is a know it all or takes that attitude even when they may know it all. Fact is, no one knows it all. We are all resident experts at what we've done at our own skill level.

Take care. Henry

Len
02-09-2007, 04:01 PM

Tommy
You're asking guys that have extensive experience repairing this type of damage on all types of cars. Phil is giving you information on what is needed to get an "informed" opinion on the extent of the damage. You haven't produced that info so what do you expect? We aren't looking into any crystal balls so if you can't supply any more info about the car then we can't supply any more details. If we give you a guess it could be way off and then you would have a good reason to be angry. Most (if not all) people that could give you the info you need will need to see more details. Goodbye and Good luck.

jhowell
02-09-2007, 04:14 PM
What I'm wondering is how much money you have to throw at this car. People here aren't being stuck-up, they're being realistic. Almost anywhere you go in this country you'll find people with cars like this in their backyard which were once projects but have long since been abandoned as the cost to repair and the amount of work involved was way over the top. I'm not going to say it can't be repaired. And I'm not going to say that someone with no experience can't repair it either. It's just that in all likelihood, if the person who wrecked it didn't have it fixed, it will never be fixed regardless of how many times it changes owners. It's not a rare vehicle. It's not in high demand. There are still plenty out there that are reasonably priced and in good working order. It's one thing to let the insurance company repair something like that. They polish turds every day and are used to it. If you've got 4K-5K$ burning a hole in your pocket and love to punish yourself, by all means go out and buy it. If not, look for another one.

dixie1776
02-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Below is a picture of a car smacked on the right side with the fenders (wallpaper) off so you can see the CAR and the DAMAGE.
Notice the parts in the front end that SHOULD be VERTICAL and look what angle they are on. This is what you could be facing. Notice where the bumper bolts which is over to the left a few inches.
Whenever you want to deal in wrecked cars, you need to strip them of their WALLPAPER so you can actually see the damage. Henry

http://images.copart.com/website/data/pix/20061103/11601796_8X.JPG?06:25:04

if u read my previous post slowly, you woulda read" measure with a tram gauge" as every measurement on the car in pic woulda been off, both under hood dimensions and under frame measurements----so, the next time you try and bust someone down, make sure u read the post you're tring to bust on.

Brian

Henry
02-09-2007, 11:46 PM
if u read my previous post slowly, you woulda read" measure with a tram gauge" as every measurement on the car in pic woulda been off, both under hood dimensions and under frame measurements----so, the next time you try and bust someone down, make sure u read the post you're tring to bust on.

Brian
What the hell are you talking about and who the hell are you talking to????
I aimed NO PUN toward YOU so what's up with that? And what picture are you talking about? The picture of the car without the nose is one I posted from an auction site to help Tommy see what all of us are trying to explain to him.
You owe me an apology not threats!! Regards. Henry

tommyc
02-10-2007, 04:29 AM
phil...i appreciate your words of wisdom...and im not bein sarcastic...its just that when you accused me of puttin you guys on a goose chase it really upset me. I went through numerous sites and picked this one. I am a fast learner and love workin on cars. ive eyed this car to one of my co-workers and the only thing that appears to be off is the section i took a picture of. We moved the vehicle before i even registered for this forum. Im completely appologize for my outburst and before i threw my tantrum i talked to someone about comin to look at it...he is by no means a pro bodyman but he has dealt with his fair share of wrecked cars and ive seen his backyard work so to speak. i appreciate everyones words of wisdom. i just wanted to get a general idea of practices i might be able to implment....so to anyone i offend including phil i sincerely appologize for my outburst

Len
02-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Tommy, if you have a camera, take it when you go see the car and take several pictures (especially up front under the hood) at different angles and post a couple here and we'll tell you what we see.

88GT
02-10-2007, 12:33 PM
This thread reminds me of a "golfball size dent" I agreed to fix over the phone. Since then I never agree to anything or give quotes over the phone. The impact was a trailer hitch but the damage was from one end to the other. What people are saying about needing pics is true. Actually, to be even more acurate, we would need to see the CAR, but at least a few good up close pics of typical things to get a look at like gaps and headlight alignment and so forth.

dixie1776
02-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Henry,
my bad, when u quoted me and put up a pic, i thought that u were tring to say that i didn't know what i was talking about, sry bout that

Brian

didn't realize that u were showing the reason why we needed the pics and measurements i told him about

Henry
02-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Henry,
my bad, when u quoted me and put up a pic, i thought that u were tring to say that i didn't know what i was talking about, sry bout that

Brian

didn't realize that u were showing the reason why we needed the pics and measurements i told him about
Hey Brian; when in work, we should be working. When I posted the pic for TOMMY I inadvertenly linked it to quoting your reply to him. So, sorry from this end too. Guess all we're trying to do is help this guy out. Have a great weekend. Regards. Henry