PDA

View Full Version : How to use Bondo self adhesive body patch

01-31-2007, 10:02 AM
How do you use this Bondo self adhesive body patch? Is it an alternitave to welding of super duper glue?

Len
01-31-2007, 11:00 AM
I haven't used this but it appears to be an adhesive screen that is placed over a hole then filler can be applied over it. It can't be too sophisticated, it only costs about $5.

01-31-2007, 12:51 PM
Well if it dosent stick I guess you can use glue and then do your filler. And its availible at the parts store, pretty convenient, vs learning how to weld. Seems pretty strong too. Ill pick up some today.

Raindem
01-31-2007, 08:47 PM
It has just enough adhesive to hold it in place while you skim a coat of filler over it.

Serge
01-31-2007, 11:11 PM
Ok, how do you use the bondo patch?

Well, simple, you don't...

It's a realy poor way of repairing a hole which was probably caused by rust...very poor in deed...will not last very long...Bad, bad bondo...why do they sell that stuff...

If you have to, at least use it with short strand fiberglass, milled glass or all metal. I would grind the metal, put a coat of filler on the metal putting pressure on the filler so it gets into the scratches and then I would imbed the screen into the filler tha'ts on the metal and put more filler over it. The filler is a better glue than what they can put on the back of this thing...

02-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Ok then whats the difference between that and welding a piece of metal and then using filler over that? Only difference is your using a welder and some sheet metal. i was going to find some of that really good glue (think its called fusion).

drizler
02-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Ok then whats the difference between that and welding a piece of metal and then using filler over that? Only difference is your using a welder and some sheet metal. i was going to find some of that really good glue (think its called fusion).

It came in a roll and I don't know who made the stuff but its a backer like they use for drywall taping made of nylon I guess. Even with the goo I still got in there with 60 grit and then took the end of a file and really roughed the surroundings up ragged as possible. That mesh is more to hold the filler in place so it won't fall through the hole while its curing I would think. These guys are right its never going to give it enough strength. You could put a patch back there using pop rivets and fill over that with fiberglass bondo. At least the fiberglass bondo won't absorb water and rust out in a year like the pink crap does. Cover the back of the patch with fiberglass bondo too to keep the water out from there too prime and paint with something as well. Probably not as good as a weld but its not going anywhere and you won't be leaving any burned off surfaces on the back to rust out either. If you can get at the back try to put on rivet washers. You can even snug em up bucking them with a bigass hammer or dolly providing again that you can get at the back side.
Bondo by itself especially the pink stuff is a waste of time if you live anywhere but Arizona. The rustmonster never sleeps but fixing it with just the pink shit is akin to offering it up a fresh meal, its pure poo.