01-24-2007, 10:16 PM
i have a amc hornet that is ready for paint we took all the
panels of and sprayed inside and put it back again to do the whole car
in one go everything was ok but the hood won't sit down to where it is
suppossed to sit the hinges can't go down anymore and the hood is still
high any suggestions it was good before?:mad:

Len
01-24-2007, 11:30 PM
If it was good before you removed it then it can be made right again. Try loosening the back bolts where the hinge bolts to the inner fenders then lift up on the hood beyond it's high point so that it forces the back of the hinges down. While someone holds the hood up in this extended position tighten those back bolts. Close the hood to see the result.

MARTINSR
01-25-2007, 01:12 AM
As Len said, moving the hood hinges "up" and "down" don't actually move the hood much at all. To the hood more up or down the hinges need to be "rotated". Read this link and you will have a more clear idea...http://www.autobodystore.com/ms1.htm

Brian

leo
01-25-2007, 02:32 PM
thanks i will give it a go and let you know how i went.
leo

Serge
01-25-2007, 02:43 PM
As these old hinges age, they get pretty loose and sometimes you just can't adjust them anymore and they need to be rebuilt as they become too loose, the spring just pops the hood too high cause of the loose rivet holes. They oversize the rivet holes and put new rivets in there.

Its always better to have the old ones rebuilt than buying repos...

My 2 cents.

Serge

dixie1776
01-26-2007, 12:25 PM
one more thing that can be done is to open the hood fully open, and without loosening anything, force the hood up- a little at the time so you dont go too far--thus by forcing it up in this way will bend the hinges slightly and will lower the hood at the back.

pane2k
01-26-2007, 04:56 PM
just an idea...because i had a problem like this once...
I dont know how your hinges are exactly...ive never worked on one of those cars..
But if your using 10mm bolts to bolt the hinges down...if the heads are relativly big...when the hinge closes...the 10mm bolt may be too high and may be holding the hinge slightly open.
If thats the case.. You can get 10mm with flatter heads...or countersink the hole and get like phillip head screws with countersunk heads with 10mm thread.
This has happend to me once..and i felt like an ass when i figured it out because i was blaming it on the aftermarket parts lol.