PDA

View Full Version : Bumper and fender on 2000 Cavi???? Pics

drizler
01-15-2007, 12:33 PM
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v426/drizler/2000%20Cavalier%20front%20bumper/?action=invite

This is a few pics of my daughters friends 2000 cavalier which she backed into with her mothers sport ute last night. What do you guys think of the bumper? Does it look like a fixer or just go do the junkyard thing. The fender is what you can see in the upper right of the pics and its out of line. Door won't open and it just barely won't clear. I tried to coax it out enough but couldn't do it without bending the door. Both fender and bumper need paint and work, light looks ok as is hood. Its nothing I want to do as I still have to get on the snowmobile crackup mess from my kids blunder. What do you guys figure its gonna take and about how much from a shop I know in Canada where OSHA doesn't exist but I know for a fact does good if less than Mr. Good wernch work. I know it is what it is but just want to give the girl an idea what she is up against. Another blonde moment.................... Thanks:eek:

THE WHOLE URL http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v426/drizler/2000%20Cavalier%20front%20bumper/

Bob K
01-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Just for your information, while I was viewing you pictures my virus protector shut the connection and said a trogon downloader was detected, but cleaned it up before it loaded.

drizler
01-15-2007, 08:56 PM
I haven't noticed anything popping up from my AVG. Maby a false alarm? I just shot those and uploaded them to Photobucket. Can't see much chance of anything getting to those pics but I suppose anything is possible. Apologies in advance if I give anyone the clap................

Bob K
01-15-2007, 09:34 PM
No, I didnít mean that you sent a virus, but I am concerned about photobucket.

Bob K

Len
01-15-2007, 11:10 PM
You should remove the bumper, heat it with something like a heat gun (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MSTHG751BW&Category_Code=5BSH) that will get it good and hot inside and out them gently push out of the problem. It looks like it could jump back into shape. If you still have surface problems they can probably be fixed with a flexible filler like Poly-Flex. (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=E411&Category_Code=FM)

I looked at all the thumbnail size pictures on both pages and enlarged a couple of pictures and saw no sign of a virus.

Phil V
01-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Drizzler, I agree with Len in the repair of the bumper and I also never had any virus popup warnings from the URL you posted.

No bodyshop will repair that bumper, they will insist on a new bumper cover, the same goes for the fender. Its not normal that the rear part of the fender would cause a problem with the door opening on such a light hit. Its definately possible, but not normal. How are the hood gaps ? (gaps down both sides of the hood at the fenders). At this point I would be more concerned with the gap on the good fender as opposed to the damaged fender.

drizler
01-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Like I said, this isn't my headache and as I heard the story over the phone it was just a little shallow dent. She just touched it with a Ford Explorer's rear bumper she was backing up. At least she bashed her own car but I doubt her mother was impressed with what was done to the explorer. I can just imagine since she said all it did was scratch the paint. Me thinks its a tad more.
Those new Cavialiers have cheese curd for a front end, no wonder they get good mileage. I did less damage than that to my 90 Z24 a couple years ago T boning a snowmobile and 2 guys at 25MPH. A hit like that would have taken out the whole front end of that 2002. I think the next old flyer I go looking for will be another late 1st Generation Z, those new ones don't impress me much.

Bob K
01-16-2007, 04:42 PM
It looks like Photobucket is clear and so are you. I did a scan of all the files on my computer and found an E-Mail with an attachment that was the Trojan-Downloader. It seems that my virus protector found it just as I was looking at your pictures. It only gave me an alert and I had to do a lot of checking to find the culprit. Sorry for the false alarm, but I donít regret sounding an alarm. You donít want to get surprised in a bad way.

Bob K

drizler
01-16-2007, 07:17 PM
It looks like Photobucket is clear and so are you. I did a scan of all the files on my computer and found an E-Mail with an attachment that was the Trojan-Downloader. It seems that my virus protector found it just as I was looking at your pictures. It only gave me an alert and I had to do a lot of checking to find the culprit. Sorry for the false alarm, but I donít regret sounding an alarm. You donít want to get surprised in a bad way.

Bob K
I did a full scan of mine and found that mine had auto deleted a couple of trojan auto loaders. I just read recently that they found the most spam ever just before xmas and that something akin to a slight majority of emails were actually spam sent by everyone's email programs unbeknown to them. Nature of the beast I guess. I imagine we are all tossing this junk to each other constantly. Just like the 60's , everyone is passing the clap around. PEACE

Henry
01-16-2007, 11:29 PM
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v426/drizler/2000%20Cavalier%20front%20bumper/?action=invite

This is a few pics of my daughters friends 2000 cavalier which she backed into with her mothers sport ute last night. What do you guys think of the bumper? Does it look like a fixer or just go do the junkyard thing. The fender is what you can see in the upper right of the pics and its out of line. Door won't open and it just barely won't clear. I tried to coax it out enough but couldn't do it without bending the door. Both fender and bumper need paint and work, light looks ok as is hood. Its nothing I want to do as I still have to get on the snowmobile crackup mess from my kids blunder. What do you guys figure its gonna take and about how much from a shop I know in Canada where OSHA doesn't exist but I know for a fact does good if less than Mr. Good wernch work. I know it is what it is but just want to give the girl an idea what she is up against. Another blonde moment.................... Thanks:eek:

THE WHOLE URL http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v426/drizler/2000%20Cavalier%20front%20bumper/
This red car is not a 2000 Cavalier by Chevy anyway. For one thing there is no sidelight in the bumper cover. What's up? Henry

AutobodyCAD
01-17-2007, 08:49 AM
The lights looks like a Pontiac Sunfire, IIRC. Same thing practically.

drizler
01-17-2007, 05:03 PM
The lights looks like a Pontiac Sunfire, IIRC. Same thing practically.
You got that right. Is there any real difference between any of any given class of GM cars at all? I found out that is actually a 2002 Sunfire. Hey it ain't my car, what can I say. The guy I put her in touch with said he could probably fix it for $500. Doesn't seem all that bad to me. In all probably a lesson well learned. Its not too hard to kill somebody backing up and all the sport utes are blind as a bat backing up as far as I know. With those big dumb plastic baloon pillars you might as well be wearing blinders..

Henry
01-17-2007, 11:07 PM
You got that right. Is there any real difference between any of any given class of GM cars at all? I found out that is actually a 2002 Sunfire. Hey it ain't my car, what can I say. The guy I put her in touch with said he could probably fix it for $500. Doesn't seem all that bad to me. In all probably a lesson well learned. Its not too hard to kill somebody backing up and all the sport utes are blind as a bat backing up as far as I know. With those big dumb plastic baloon pillars you might as well be wearing blinders..
a lot or a little bit. Price is what would make me fix it myself. If it were mid summer the indentation would probably have never stayed in. It can be fixed or even replaced with even a used RED cover from a bone yard. Have fun. Henry

Ironhead 59
02-01-2007, 05:28 AM
Yea those Cavaliers arent too crashworthy.The fenders have an inside brace towards the door and the metal is thin.Cant do much with them,however the front cover can be repaired with heat a little putty and patience:) :)