PDA

View Full Version : approx cost for repairs

boilrman
01-13-2007, 07:26 PM
I am looking to do a repair for a friend and I am unsure what I should charge. He wrecked his 99 dodge truck and damaged the drivers door, front fender and front bumper. He says he will get the parts and I will just have to paint them, remove the old and hang the new. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Phil V
01-14-2007, 12:22 AM
What color is the truck ? If the truck is a red or red metallic then the paint is going to cost more than the average color. If the truck is silver then figure on painting half the truck by blending paint to make sure it all matches. Figure around $300 for paint and materials. Were the frame horns kicked over or back at all ? are the door hinges bent/out of align. Was there any cowel damage ? Is the radiator support damaged. That stuff is kind of hidden until you go to install the new/used parts. The new door is going to have to be gutted to keep paint lines from the weather strip moldings etc in the process of painting the door inner frame. If he was a good friend I would probably charge around $900 to a grand. If he's a not so good friend then add on another $500. It sounds like an easy job to just replace the bumper, fender and door but you will have at least several full days of work involved to do a good job, get the panels to line up correctly and get the paint to match correctly. Any other work like bent radiator support, bumper brackets/reinforcement, door hinges etc are added on as additonal labor.

PetesPonies
01-14-2007, 11:33 AM
if you are a capable person..charge time and materials.

boilrman
01-14-2007, 01:15 PM
I appreciate the responses. I have gone to auto collision school. I have not worked in a shop, but I am doing a ground up for another friend on a 78 ford truck. The truck was a light roll on its side into a ditch. The door bent badly keeping it from being airtight(didnt break the glass). He is only wanting to repair the strongest damage currenly, as the bed(needs new side), cab(couple of dents, one above door on roof, one on the corner above body line) and the hood has some minor dents. The major dent with the door is approx from the mirror down and the fender is pretty much dead center of the fender itself.

I understand it is very difficult to try and price something like this without seeing anything, but I appreciate your help. I would have been lower(approx $500-600), but I would have made him purchase paint because it is red.

If you have anything to add due to the above description, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks again.