TheCoatingStore.com

nebur
12-28-2006, 11:52 PM
would it be feasible for me to try to repair this:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f336/Polo8250/P6060347.jpg
my biggest concern is the door jamb
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f336/Polo8250/P6060351.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f336/Polo8250/P6060352.jpg
if so what tools/materials would i need?? if not what can i expect to pay for a repair like this? i will have more questions in the future!

thanks,
nebur

Phil V
12-29-2006, 01:41 AM
Nebur, If you're asking is that quarter panel and door repairable - then the answer is yes - they are repairable. I've fixed a lot worse than that and it came out looking brand new. BUT your question was " Do we think it is feasable for YOU to repair that damage " and only you can answer that question, because we have no idea what your skill level is, what tools and equipment you have available to you etc.

If you were to turn that into an insurance co. to have a repair shop repair that damage they would write it for a new quarter panel and probably skin the door. Reasonable estimate of around $2,000.00

nebur
12-29-2006, 10:29 AM
I have taken out a few dents in the past using hand tools but i am far from a professional. i was planning to hammer the dents out as much as possible then running some bondo over them and sand it down so it is even with the body. experience is something i lack but i make up for it in ingenuity. any tips, tools or materials would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
nebur

88GT
12-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Getting the dent in the quarter panel will close the gap back up. Looks fairly work harded close to the edge. I think your best bet is from the inside with a block of wood and a hammer initially, then hammer and dolly/ stud welder to finish roughing it out.
That is a very easy body shape to work with. No lines to have to contend with.
For the door, maybe a little prying through the window opening and tapping with a hammer on the outer skin, and flatten the egge back out with a hammer and dolly.

Serge
12-29-2006, 01:09 PM
You could send it to a shop to get the dent out. It's easier when you can weld studs or a wiggle wire and pull on it with an hydrolic tower while hammering it in place. This way you can control the direction of the pull and just bring it along with the hammer...

You could have just this pulling done and then finish the paint yourself...

Just my 2 cents.

Serge

nebur
12-29-2006, 03:20 PM
the door is fiberglass so i would not be able to push the dents out. i was quoted 1600 to get the quarter and door repaired. that was taking the dents out of the quarter and repairing the door with fiberglass. i had originally thought of the wooden block idea to take out the dent, but the door jamb is a little intimidating. also wanted to note i am a total newbie so things like dolly/stud welder/and hydraulic tower are things i have never used or own.

thanks for the help,
nebur

88GT
12-29-2006, 03:28 PM
ah. It's a camaro. The door wont have dents per say, but I think I see a crack. That can be sanded down a bit and use a fiberglass resin to fill any cracks. I would suggest doing a 2 sided repair on the door. As far as the door jam, you will be surprised how well that will go back just by getting the outer panel as straight as possible. Barring no kinks or anything on the dog leg.

jhowell
12-29-2006, 05:02 PM
I don't know what the rules are on this site for promoting things, so I'm going to take a gamble and suggest you pick up a stud welder from Harbor Freight. It's not a high quality piece, but for the hobbyist, it gets the job done and the price is reasonable. The interesting things I've read about metalworking discuss "reading" the dent. Figure out where it started, find the pressure points in it. Don't just beat the metal into submission. Even I'll admit there's a bit of an art to doing it, but luckily, if you take your time with it, you'll find that very few swings of the hammer will produce good results.