PDA

View Full Version : Quarter Panel Replacement Questions

TheCoatingStore.com

redvettemike
12-25-2006, 08:34 AM
I have a '70 ChevelleSS that my hot rod buddy and I are doing a frame off restoration. We have the frame/suspension done and now need to work on the body. The rr quarter needs to be replaced and I have bought a full quarter replacement from Goodmark. I planned to cut the panel off this week and get going on the replacement. Someone on another forum has said that I need to put the body back on the frame before removing and replacing the quarter-that the full quarter is a integral part of the body structure and that things will not line up if the qpanel is replaced while the body is off the frame.
Could you good folks give me your advice on this? Should I wait till the body is back on the frame? Thanks for any help.
Mike

Len
12-25-2006, 09:20 AM
I would say that when the entire quarter is being replaced then you probably should have the body on the frame in order to make sure everything will stay in it's final position while the work is being done.
In many cases you can leave the trunk lid and door in place and support the body while you section the quarter leaving the door and trunk jamb untouched. This will allow you to keep the proper alignment during the repair without needing the body on the frame. Of course you would need to support the body properly in order to maintain alignment but you could see the alignment with the door and lid in place.

Below is a quarter we did in this manor even though it was still on the frame. We usually make the horizontal (top) cut a couple inches below the peak and use the backing strip method on the top and front cuts when installing the new metal.

http://www.autobodystore.com/Images/73rrcomp2.jpg

88GT
12-25-2006, 10:39 AM
If it were me, I would use the whole quarter and replace it at the factory welds. And I agree, that the body should be in the frame to do it.

Len
12-25-2006, 11:03 AM
I agree that replacing the entire panel is advisable under certain conditions. Why do you think it's advisable for this repair?

Jayson M
12-25-2006, 12:08 PM
I am replacing both quarter panels on my 72 chevelle right now with goodmark full quarters made from the original GM tooling.These panels were stamped in the u.s. but have been discontinued.The new panels are stamped overseas and I'm not sure how they fit but have heard fit is good.
I would wait for the body to be put back on the frame.When a body is put on a rotisserie it can sag and the panel will be very hard to line up.I am replacing mine at the factory seams.Some might think its a lot of work but it will save you time in the long run when it comes time to doing the bodywork,you just have spot welds to dress and the roof seam.I have been doing paint and bodywork and collision repairs for close to 20 years.If you need help on this job you can pm me and I will walk you through it.
Before you cut the quarter off put your door and trunk lid on and line them up to the existing quarter panel.This will take a lot of guess work out of the job.Make sure you fit the back glass,quarter glass and the window fuzzies as well.Hope this helps,:D

redvettemike
12-27-2006, 09:09 PM
Jayson: I appreciate your post and I likely will call on you when we start this work. We are going to pull the body outside on a dolly and sandblast the bottom as well as some rusty areas. Based on this forum it would be the next sequence to prime the bare metal body with an epoxy primer and then start the body work. Right? Once this primer is on I can apply a "guide coat" and then sand that with a long block to identify areas that need straightening (there are a number that is not going to need this process because there is no missing them). Is this a proper sequence?
Thanks, Mike
PS: I used a paint stripper and razor scraper to get the paint and primer off (there was at least 50lb-I promise). There is still some primer left on the metal. What grit paper should be used on this?

Jayson M
12-27-2006, 10:14 PM
A good old fashioned da sander with some 80 grit will clean up whatever paint or primer is left on the panels.
Some guys like to do bodywork on bare metal,some on epoxy the choice is up to you.You can check the archives for some research on this topic.
I think it is a good idea to do your panel replacement before you start the filler operations.
If you don't have much experience finding the dents spraying the car with a black epoxy and going over the panels with 120 on a long block will help you find the problem areas.Keep in mind if you have no access behind you might have to grind the epoxy off so you can use a stud welder.
Most importantly do one panel at a time so you don't get overwhelmed.
This is pretty vague but it should get you started.This is a great site and there are lots of people who can answer your questions.Team chevelle is another great site that deals just with our cars.
Keep us posted on how you make out with lots of pics.what size engine and transmission and options does the car have and what color?:D

redvettemike
12-28-2006, 01:09 PM
A good old fashioned da sander with some 80 grit will clean up whatever paint or primer is left on the panels.
Some guys like to do bodywork on bare metal,some on epoxy the choice is up to you.You can check the archives for some research on this topic.
I think it is a good idea to do your panel replacement before you start the filler operations.
If you don't have much experience finding the dents spraying the car with a black epoxy and going over the panels with 120 on a long block will help you find the problem areas.Keep in mind if you have no access behind you might have to grind the epoxy off so you can use a stud welder.
Most importantly do one panel at a time so you don't get overwhelmed.
This is pretty vague but it should get you started.This is a great site and there are lots of people who can answer your questions.Team chevelle is another great site that deals just with our cars.
Keep us posted on how you make out with lots of pics.what size engine and transmission and options does the car have and what color?:D
The car is a '70 SS (we have the build sheet). It was grey with black stripes and a black vinyl top. It has ps, pb and factory air. Has cowl hood and was a factory 396/325hp car. Black interior with bench seat and TH400 trans; 3.31 posi. It was nice when new and will be again. We have finished the chassie and now need to move onto the body. Thanks for your advice re the body work. I am going to take some pictures (I already have) and if I can get my step daughter to help I will post here. I go to Team Chevelle a good bit also (I have a nice 71SS car that is not for sale.)
Mike

Jayson M
12-28-2006, 07:03 PM
That sounds like a beautiful car,love the bench seat also.
My 72 is just a malibu.I have a 454 with 291 rec port heads solid cam and 10 to1 compression.Super T-10 4spd with bench seat ,12 bolt with 3.31's and a cowl hood that I purchase from the general 10 years ago when they were available.When I get finished with some side jobs I will finish mine off.Going to be mulsanne blue with no stripes.:D