PDA

View Full Version : How to remove Trim from Subaru Impreza WRX

TheCoatingStore.com

craig429
01-17-2006, 07:50 PM
I am working on a 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX that has some damage on the back half of the car and the roof. I would like to remove the trim that is located on top of the roof and follows from the front windshield to the rear window. I would also like to remove the trim that is around the door windows. The main reason for me to want to remove the trim is to avoid having tape lines.

I have attached a picture, not of my car, but one that is silver to help see the trim I would like to remove. I have marked off the Roof trim, and the two door trims that I like to remove if it can be done without damaging them.

Are there any tricks to removing this trim? How is the best way?

To paint the doors, is it best to remove the door handles? Otherwise I would think that there would be paint build up where the handle fits to the door.

What is the proper tool to remove the interior door panels to gain access to the door handles?

Do professional paint shops remove these components?

Thanks for a great web site.

cruzindablvd
01-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Hi ...........If you wanna save yourself alot of trouble on removing the trim Just go to the paint store and buy a qt. can of they call adheisive remover. All you have to do is put some on a rag and wipe wherever you see the lines. Ive used it before and it works really well. Its made my 3M

68-chevyman
01-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Trick to removeing trim is do it first that way if you break a part you can get a suplment from the ins. co.

Most shops that put remove and reinstall (r/r) on their estiment do the operations. Many are to competitive to put it on the est. so they don't do it. Which I think is a shame. I've done it bolth ways and R/R the trim is always best. Although on a first time repaint the buildup is'nt to bad unless you use a high build primer/or clear.

Len can probably show you some pic. of door panel clip removers. Most cars you can get all the screws out and pry the door panals off with prybar whatever then get your fingers under then and give them a jerk then lift up.

the trim you call door trim 2 is called the BELT molding. on this you look for screws on each end on the inside. Remove them and then just pull up hard don't be suprised if you break a clip or 2. You just have to replace things like that. U can order them from a dealer.

the roof molding is taped on it can be riped off and must be replaced new or masked off. There is a trick to tapeing off rubber moldings. You lift up the edge and stuff a peice of electric wire under it before you mask this will alow the paint line to be under the edge.

The door opening sround molding will have push clips in the Qt. pry thess up then cut the rivets under the weather seal. Pull it carefuly watching it with a flashlight. LOOK AT EVERYTHING CLOSE WITH A FLASHLIGHT!

TimG
01-18-2006, 01:00 AM
I agree w/ Chevyman,couple things to add....
Put the windows down to remove the belt mldgs,and try gently twisting it away from the glass while lifting up,you want to move the tab that catches on the doorskin towards the center of the car to release it. End screws are under the weatherstrip,it's held on w/plastic push in clips.
If you remove the roof mldgs,buy an eraser wheel to remove the old adhesive,Len sells them here, WELL WORTH the money!
I'm pretty sure the door surround mldg is held on by phillips screws under the gasket/weatherstrip,gasket itself is held on the ends w/plastic clips that pop out,cinches to the rail in the center.
You may have to take the door glass out to remove the door handles,if you do,be careful. Any bolt or stud w/ an allen or torx recess in it is an adjustment best left alone!
Once the bolts and rods for the handle are out,there is probably a plastic finger or two molded into the handle,on the bottom,that catch the edge of the doorskin. Look in w/ a light,and push up and out w/ a screwdriver,these can be a real bear to remove! A sharp rap w/ your hand on the screwdriver and a few choice words usually work.
We do a ton of Outbacks and Forresters at work,don't see a lot of Imprezas,but they are pretty similar as far as how the trim is held on.
Good Luck!

craig429
01-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Thank you for your replys and advice.