PDA

View Full Version : AC/DC tools vs air (opinions)

88GT
12-20-2006, 03:01 PM
I see alot of AC/DC tools being used by guys on here. The only battery operated tool I really have that I use in the shop that has an air operated "brother" is a coordless drill I mainly use as a driver for self tapping screws. Other than not having a hose or cord attatched to a cordless tool, I don't see much benifit of some cordless or even AC tools. They are usually much bigger and heavier. I have an electric polisher that I never use as it is twice the size and weight as my air operated version and is so easy to handle and control, I actually almost like to polish. Anyone have a take on air vs electric?

CDJr
12-20-2006, 03:14 PM
Air
Requires a good compressor
Usually lightweight
Must drag heavy airhose around
Normally not as precise as electric

Electric
Better variety of tools
Almost always heavier
Even corded tools are easier than a rambunctious airhose
More suited to hobbyist

Personally, I use a lot more electric tools, but thats probably cuz I already had them. But there are some air tools I plan on getting eventually, especially ones that are used for extended periods of time. Just my 1 cents worth ;)

dave_demented
12-20-2006, 06:03 PM
i actually use a mix of electric and air. if im grinding away a lot of metal, ill get it close with my grinder, then finish it off with a dremel. the only reason i would ever get a electric impact was to keep in my car on long car rides